You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 403775  

Print Page



© Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB

IoE Number: 403775
Location: WITTON TOWER, HIGH STREET (north side)
  CROOK, WEAR VALLEY, DURHAM
Photographer: Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB
Date Photographed: 06 October 2000
Date listed: 17 April 1952
Date of last amendment: 17 April 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CROOK AND WILLINGTONHIGH STREETNZ 1431(North side)Witton-le-Wear41/27Witton Tower

CROOK AND WILLINGTON HIGH STREET NZ 1431 (North side) Witton-le-Wear 41/27 Witton Tower 17/4/52 GV II* House and possible chapel. Medieval with additions and alterations in C17, C18 and C19. Thin courses of sandstone rubble, pink in places, with ashlar dressings and quoins; plinth. Roofs of stone flags and Welsh slate with stone and brick chimneys. Irregular plan. 3-storey, one-bay tower with 2-storey, 2-bay left wing and 3-storey, 3-bay right wing; 2-storey, one-bay link at left to so-called chapel breaking forward. Tudor-arched surround to door at right of tower in c.1900 glazed porch; windows of varying types and sizes, those in tower with stone-mullioned flat-Tudor-headed lights, those at left of tower cross-type on ground floor, 16-pane sash and Y-glazing barred sash above, those in right wing sashes with glazing bars in Tudor-arched surrounds; most have drip or label moulds; right wing has strings on upper floors interrupted by windows. Left link to chapel has 2-light stone-mullioned ground-floor window; upper window obscured by ivy. 'Chapel' has 3-light window under 2-centred-arched drip mould with round stops; small lancet above and belfry in front gable peak. Tower has high coped parapet on string, and central stone chimney stack with tapered yellow pots; brick stacks at right and at outer ends of wings. Interior not inspected.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.