© Mr David J Lewis LRPS
ST CATHERINE'S CHURCH,
ST CATHERINE, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr David J Lewis LRPS
24 May 2001
01 February 1956
Date of last amendment:
01 February 1956
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST 77 SE ST. CATHERINE'S
2/167 St. Catherine's Church
Anglican Parish Church. C12, altered and remodelled extensively c. 1490 for
Prior Cantlow of Bath; tower and north side of church restored 1704; restored
1846 and decorated 1880 by Powell of London. West tower, nave and south porch,
chancel and north vestry. Ashlar and rubble with freestone dressings; stone
slate roof with coped raised verges and cross finials. West tower of 2 stages
with an embattled parapet and pinnacles; 3-light Perpendicular style openings to
the bell chamber with tracery of quatrefoils and circles and setback in a hollow
chamfered, plain arch; on the south side is a large sundial and an inscription
noting the 1704 restoration. Nave: single cusped light to west of porch and
3-light Perpendicular style window to east, the latter also with cusped heads and
under a square hood mould; single and 3-light late C19 Perpendicular style
windows on north side; buttresses with off-sets. South porch is projecting and
gabled; buttress with off-sets on east side; double chamfered arch. Chancel:
2- and 3-light windows as nave; large 4-light east window as others but with a
4-centred head; south priest's door in a double ogee and hollow moulded surround.
The south doorway has a 4-centred head and a double ogee-hollow-ogee moulded
surround, hoodmould and stops; studded plank door with strap hinges. Interior.
Chamfered tower arch springing from scalloped capitals on a cylindrical corbel.
Early English double chamfered chancel arch resting on C19 columns; 2 demi-
figures of angels holding shields on chancel arch wall; squint through north
pier. The chancel has a barrel roof with plain interspaces and coloured and
moulded ribs and bosses. Pulpit is late C15, repainted C19; half octagon with
2 panels of arcading to each side. Font: late C12 on C13; ashlar, square bowl
with blank arcade and interlace decoration to upper part, fluting on lower;
cylindrical stem. Vicar's pew incorporates C15 bench ends and decoration.
Painted and tiled tower and chancel arches are c. 1880 by Powell. Glass: East
window, dated 1490 restored 1846; three figures of the Rood and St. Peter;
below is an inscription and the arms and kneeling figure of Prior Cantlow;
borderwork with crowns and letters of donor's name. South chancel window:
three C15 roundels, 2 painted with eagles holding scrolls inscribed with
Cantlow's name and central figure of St. Catherine trampling on the Emporer
Maxentius. Nave south window has C15 roses and suns. Heraldic glass of 1846
in chancel and nave, to Colonel Strutt. Monuments. Chancel: William
Blanchard, died 1631, 2 kneeling figures (he in armour) and 4 kneeling children
below, in Corinthian columns and under a broken pediment with arms; William
Blanchard, died 1686, inscribed plaque with Tuscan columns and segmental
pediment. Nave: Anne Dyer, died 1815, inscribed plaque with urn above.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958 .
C. Woodforde, Stained Glass in Somerset, 1946).