© Mr James Ryall LRPS
ST JAMES' CHURCH,
SOUTHSTOKE, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr James Ryall LRPS
13 October 1999
01 February 1956
Date of last amendment:
01 February 1956
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST 76 SW SOUTH STOKE
6/196 St. James' Church
Anglican Parish Church. C12, altered C15; restored with chancel and south aisle
rebuilt in 1845 and c. 1850 by G.P. Manners of Bath. Consists of west tower,
nave and north porch, south aisle and chancel. Coursed squared rubble and
freestone with stone slate roofs. The west tower is low, but of 3 stages with
diagonal buttresses; embattled parapet with pinnacles and gargoyles; single
2-light bell chamber windows and 2-light west window; polygonal stair turret to
north-east with embattled parapet and spirelet. Projecting gabled north porch.
The nave and south aisles have C19 2-light Perpendicular style windows; cusped
lancet windows to chancel. C12 south doorway with one order of columns, both
patterned with lozenges and nailhead ornament (east) and fleur-de-lys ornament
with dots (west); scalloped capitals; lintel with low pitched top and chip
carving; tympanum with trellis pattern of roll mouldings; arch with rosettes and
quatrefoils to inner part, triple zig-zag to centre and outer guilloche band.
Interior. South arcade of 1845, 3 bays with octagonal piers and chamfered
arches. Pulpit: probably C15, recut, ashlar with panelled sides on a stem.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).