You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 408072  

Print Page



© Mr David J Lewis LRPS

IoE Number: 408072
Location: ST MARY'S CHURCH,
  SWAINSWICK, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr David J Lewis LRPS
Date Photographed: 09 May 2001
Date listed: 01 February 1956
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1956
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 76 NESWAINSWICKUPPER SWAINSWICK5/239St. Mary's Church1.2.56II*

ST 76 NE SWAINSWICK UPPER SWAINSWICK 5/239 St. Mary's Church 1.2.56 II* G.V. Anglican Parish Church. C12, altered C14 and C15; restored mid - late C19 by C.E. Davis of Bath. West tower, nave, north aisle, south porch, chancel and north chancel chapel. Ashlar and coursed rubble; stone slate roof with coped raised verges. The west tower is probably C14 and it is built into the west end of the nave: 3 stages with plain ashlar parapet and quoins; saddleback roof; single square light on second stage and 2-light cusped window to bell chamber; buttress with off-sets at west corner. Nave: to the left of the porch is 2-light window with cusped ogee-headed tracery, under a square hood mould, single narrow light at left; to the right of the porch is a fine 3-light window with an ogee head, moulded mullions and surrounds and reticulated tracery in the upper part, ogee hoodmould and finial; at the far right is a 2-light casement window with segmental heads and ovolo moulded surrounds. Gabled and projecting south porch; plank studded door in fine moulded and ogee headed doorway. Chancel is mostly C19: 2 windows on south side, one plain with 3-lights and one single cusped light; 4-light Perpendicular style but C19 east window. North chantry chapel has a 4-light late Perpendicular style east window with cusped heads and under a square dripmould; similar 2-light window on north side and doorway with a chamfered and 4-centre headed surround (leaf carving in the spandrels). North aisle: remains of stoup close to chantry door; large 4-light Perpendicular style window at left, with 4-centred head; 2-light window to west with a small square light at the right; 3-light west window in ovolo moulded and round-headed surrounds. South door is mid - late C12: single columns with scalloped capitals; arch with 2 bands of zig-zag; hoodmould with a band of dogtooth moulding and carved head stops. Interior. Three of the supporting piers of the tower are visible: octagonal with stops on the south piers; double chamfered arches to east and south with continuous hoodmoulds and string course; coarsely cut head stops and figure of a demi-angel on south-east pier. 2 bay north arcade with piers of alternating hollow mouldings and engaged shafts; 4-centred arches but round- headed and chamfered, narrow arch to east. Ogee moulded chancel arch; arch from aisle to north chantry chapel has engaged columns with foliate and crocketted capitals; arch from chancel to north chapel has a Perpendicular style panelled soffit and sides. Stoup to east of south door has an elaborate canopy with an ogee head and crocketted pinnacles; plain 4-centre headed recess with carved spandrels and thin columns surrounds piscina in north chapel. Pulpit: late C19 in an Early English style. Font, possibly early C13; recut: ashlar; octagonal bowl on a cylindrical stem and with a moulded base. Monuments. Tower: Mary Morgan 1794, by William Reeves of Bath in marble and with a draped urn. Nave: Royal Arms of Charles I, 1647. Chancel: Catherine Winsloe, by T. King of Bath in marble with an oval medallion bearing a draped urn which stands on a plinth decorated with heraldry; brass to Edmund Forde, 1439. North aisle: John and William Turner, 1678 and Anne Danvers, 1682, inscribed tablets. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.