You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 411285  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Warwick

IoE Number: 411285
Location: RICKLING HALL, BRICK KILN LANE (west side)
  QUENDON AND RICKLING, UTTLESFORD, ESSEX
Photographer: Mr Peter Warwick
Date Photographed: 25 September 2003
Date listed: 26 November 1951
Date of last amendment: 26 November 1951
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

QUENDON AND RICKLINGBRICK KILN LANE5222(west side)Rickling HallTL 43 SE 16/62426.11.51

QUENDON AND RICKLING BRICK KILN LANE 1. 5222 (west side) Rickling Hall TL 43 SE 16/624 26.11.51 II* 2. Remains of a large quadrangular building of C14-C15, built in what was probably the bailey of the former castle. The moated castle mound stands to the south of the present buildings. These enclose what was formerly a courtyard and is now a farmyard. Part of the surrounding moat remains. The north range, formerly the gate house, and the south range, formerly containing the great hall, kitchen etc are the original buildings of C14-C15. The east range was built circa 1600 with much re-used material and in 1620 a timber-framed staircase wing was added on the courtyard side. This partly obscures a re-used C14 2-light window with stone surround mullion and transom, and trefoiled heads. The east range is now the farmhouse. The north range was made into dwellings in the late C17 and the south range which was said to be ruinous was converted into a barn. At the same period the west range was built as a granary etc. The buildings are mostly of red brick with some timber-framing and the roofs are tiled. The east front has a 4 window range of leaded casements (some old and some replacements), in segmental brick arched heads. Two of the upper storey windows have 3-lights with mullions and transom. There is a central single light window with stone surround and trefoiled head. There are C18 and later alterations and some additions at the courtyard side. The interior has some C17 features and the upper part of the staircase is circa 1620. In the north range the gate house rises slightly above the rest of the range and has a stone 4-centred arch on the north and on the south side. On the south side (courtyard) there are 4 original windows on the upper storey with cinquefoil heads. The north front has mainly leaded casements and there are 2 original windows with cinquefoil heads. Above the archway there is an original 3-light window with stone mullions, other windows are modern. The interior has a good late C17 staircase. The south wing is much altered with 4 modern semi-circular brick arches on the south side. The west range is used as farm buildings. (RCHM 3).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.