You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 414084  

Print Page



© Mr Roger Ashley

IoE Number: 414084
Location: PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE (east side)
  SIBSON CUM STIBBINGTON, HUNTINGDONSHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Photographer: Mr Roger Ashley
Date Photographed: 19 September 2006
Date listed: 13 December 1957
Date of last amendment: 13 December 1957
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SIBSON-CUM-STIBBINGTONSTIBBINGTONTL 0898CHURCH LANE(East Side)11/116Parish Church of St

SIBSON-CUM-STIBBINGTON STIBBINGTON TL 0898 CHURCH LANE (East Side) 11/116 Parish Church of St John the Baptist 13.12.57 GV II* Parish Church. Nave and chancel arch early to mid C12, north aisle c.1180. Chancel rebuilt mid C13 and south arcade and aisle rebuilt. In 1848-49 church restored, north and south aisles rebuilt, west tower demolished and vestry, organ chamber, south porch and timber bellcote added. Architect (Protheroe Pevsner) and Teulon. Walls of limestone rubble and dressings of Barnack stone. Roofs of Collyweston stone slates. South elevation: South aisle with gabled roof, two two-light windows, south porch with two-centred outer arch of two continuous chamfered orders. Chancel with three two-light windows, c.1330 each with trefoiled ogee lights and with a quartrefoil in a two-centred head with a moulded label and mask-stops, below the western window a blocked 'low-side' window with a square head; C13 doorway with two-centred arch and moulded imposts. Interior: Nave; north arcade, two wide bays c.1180 of round arches with two plain orders and chamfered label, the round column has a scalloped cruciform capital with moulded abacus, and moulded base; south arcade of three partly restored bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. Partly restored C12 doorway in west wall with jambs and round arched head of three orders, the inner order plain with shouldered head and modern lintel with tympanum enriched with regulated ornament, two round and roll-moulded orders with outer band of billet-ornament, two detached shafts to jambs with cushion-capitals and modern bases. Chancel arch, round of two square orders the inner with a soffit roll, responds each with a half-round shaft with scalloped capitals and grooved and chamfered abaci continued along the the wall. Font, C12 octagonal bowl with round arch on each face springing from small shafts at the angles with moulded capitals and bases, plain round stem C13 with eight shafts each with moulded capitals and bases, and chamfered plinth. Fragment of stone effigy of priest in chancel and C12 and C13 carved stones. For monuments and floor slabs see RCHM and VCH. Sketch in vestry shows the church with tower before 1848. R.C.H.M. Huntingdonshire, p231 V.C.H. Huntingdonshire, p220 Pevsner. Buildings of England, p347 Gilbert, J.L. Stibbington Church and Parish, H.R.O. Saunders, M. The Churches of S.S. Teulon Survey Plan by Inskip Ladds 1936

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.