You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 414524  

Print Page



© Mr Roger Ashley

IoE Number: 414524
Location: STIBBINGTON HOUSE, ELTON ROAD (west side)
  SIBSON CUM STIBBINGTON, HUNTINGDONSHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Photographer: Mr Roger Ashley
Date Photographed: 19 September 2006
Date listed: 16 November 1988
Date of last amendment: 16 November 1988
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for:- SIBSON-CUM-STIBBINGTON WANSFORD ELTON ROAD (west side) Stibbington House 10/135 The fifth sentence of the description shall be amended to read:- "Shallow pitched hipped welsh slated roofs with deep boarded eves, summounted by a wooden octagonal belvedere with glazed round arched arcade and with clock faces in north and south facets." ------------------------------------ SIBSON-CUM-STIBBINGTON WANSFORD TL 0698 ELTON ROAD (West Side) 10/135 Stibbington House 25.9.51 GV II House formerly the miller's house to Wansford Paper Mill. Rebuilt after a fire c.1805, with additions and alterations from c.1825. Clock belvedere 1844 and clock by John Brumhead of Stamford. Coursed limestone with freestone dressings. Shallow pitched hipped Welsh slated roofs with deep boarded eaves, surmounted by a wooden octagonal belvedere with glazed round arched arcade and with clock face in north facet. Symmetrical brick stacks. Three storeys and basement with single storey drawing room addition to west of original square plan. Entrance facade of three symmetrical bays approached by stone steps to verandah returning to side elevations; patterned cast iron piers and frieze support tented metal canopy. Mid C19 siting of Ionic pilastered architrave to entrance doorway with six-panelled glazed door and cast iron patterned glazing bars to rectangular fanlight. Two garden casements, three first floor and second floor recessed hung sash windows with flat gauged stone arches. Interior details early C19 with later C19 alterations; open string staircase with plain and turned balusters. The mill was closed in 1859/60 after an explosion in 1855, the grounds were landscaped by L.C. Gilbert in 1927 for G.W. Abbott., The original building is illustrated in a bill head of Thomas Nelson, paper maker c.1830, the original portico may have been reused in the door architrave. V.C.H. Huntingdonshire, p217 Pevsner: Buildings of England, p362 Gilbert, J.L. Stibbington Church and Parish, 1978 Gilbert, J.L. Wansford Paper Mills

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.