No Image Available
MENDIP HOSPITAL (MAIN BUILDING),
MILTON CLEVEDON, MENDIP, SOMERSET
19 December 1990
Date of last amendment:
19 December 1990
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST 54 NE ST CUTHBERT OUT CP
11/94 Mendip Hospital
(main building) GV
County Lunatic Asylum. now hospital. 1845-47. By G G Scott and W B Moffatt. works supervised by Richard Carver. for County Magistrates. Coursed and squared rubble. freestone dressings. slate roofs with ogee-shaped gables and finials. tall grouped ashlar stacks. In the style of a Tudor manor house; double E-shaped frontage approximately 280 m long. virtually symmetrical about the entrance block to the centre which carries the greatest enrichment. 2 long front facing wings each side. Two storeys. attics. 2. 3 and 4-light stone mullioned windows. each light with a casement. regular spacing of windows. some transomed. some labels. some bay windows. Entrance block with paired front facing gables. ashlar bell-cote to centre with mullioned and transomed openings. ogee-shaped cupola. Enriched central door opening. ashlar porch. Rear elevation much plainer and with some alteration. Attached chapel at rear (qv). Interior of interest. An important example of Scott's early institutional work; contract won in open competition; built by Kirk of Sleaford for £38,000. (Builder 1845; architects drawing at RIBA).