You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 422284  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 422284
Location: THE TREASURERS HOUSE, CHURCH STREET (east side)
  MARTOCK, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 28 April 1987
Date of last amendment: 28 April 1987
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The Treasurer's House, Church Street. 12/194 9/194 ------------------------------------ The Treasurer's House, Church Street. 12/194 9/194 ------------------------------------ ST4619 MARTOCK CP CHURCH STREET (East side) 12/194 The Treasurer's House 19.4.61 GV II Medieval priest's house. C13, with C14 and C15 extensions, and small C19 wing. Ham stone coursed rubble, some ashlar work and dressings; double Roman clay tile roofs between stepped coped gables; brick chimney stacks. T-plan, single and 2-storey. The projecting wing westwards is the early C14 hall, with north-west corner buttress; west window 2-light plate tracery with mullion, no label; north and south walls each have two smaller windows to match, but without the crowning quatrefoil; pointed arched doorways at east end each side, with later casement windows over. The east crosswing of early C13 with small early C19 extension northwards; the south gable has a plate tracery window at first floor level, and below it two 3-light hollow-chamfer mullioned cinquefoil cusped windows, separated by a buttress, both with square labels; left of the upper window a slit window surrounded by unexplained drilled holes, possibly a stairlight; the west face has a single bay of 2-light chamfer-mullioned windows, the upper traceried, no labels: the C19 wing of 2 bays, with 3-light horizontal-bar casements above, and below two 2-light, one with earlier glazing, and to right a doorway screened by a timber weatherboarded flat roofed porch. In the south-east corner is the late C15/early C16 kitchen, which has no direct link to the house; the west elevation has a 2-light chamfer-mullioned flat-headed window without label to each level, and to left an almost triangular arched doorway. Inside, the hall has a 4-bay moulded arched collar-truss roof, with 3 purlins each slope, the lower and third bays double-windbraced and the second bay single-braced, a re-roofing of the same date as the kitchen; cinquefoil rere-arches to windows, no fireplace; the screen/gallery all covered in. The room in the crosswing to rear has a 4-panel deep moulded beam ceiling, probably C15; with a later fireplace inserted, possibly later C17, having chamfered stone jambs, and large slightly chamfered timber crossbeam. The first floor not examined. The kitchen has a 4-bay arched collar-truss roof, the panels between purlins covered but probably windbraced as the main hall; south bay much smoke- blackened, as is the south gable wall, which has a very wide but shallow fireplace with a near-triangular moulded arch. The Treasurer of Wells Cathedral became rector and patron of Martock 1227-8 (hence the house name), and the house is first mentioned in 1226. The plot was enlarged 1262, and the hall apparently added 1293-94. It remained part of the manor of Martock Rectory until sold in 1840. It remained in private hands until it was left to the National Trust in 1970.(VCH, Vol III, 1974; Saunders, Preb. G.W. Notes on the History of Martock Hundred Western Gazette, 1955; Wood E, C13 Domestic Architecture in England; Arch-Journal Supp, vol CV, 1950; Wood, M. The English Medieval House, Ferndale, 1981-includes plans of house).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.