You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 425149  

Print Page



© Mr Nigel Wood

IoE Number: 425149
Location: WAINSGATE BAPTIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL, WAINSGATE LANE
  WADSWORTH, CALDERDALE, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Nigel Wood
Date Photographed: 24 January 2006
Date listed: 29 April 1982
Date of last amendment: 12 December 1984
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SD 92NEWADSWORTH C.P.WAINSGATE LANESD 9982877/265Wainsgate Baptist Churchand attached Sunday School

SD 92NE WADSWORTH C.P. WAINSGATE LANE SD 998287 7/265 Wainsgate Baptist Church and attached Sunday School 29.4.82 (formerly listed as Wainsgate Baptist church under Old Town) G.V. II* Chapel and sunday school, dated 1859. Hammer-dressed stone, ashlar dressings, rusticated quoins, slate roof. 2 storeys. 3-bay symmetrical front with pedimented gable. Doorway with panelled pilasters, panel over containing fanlight and spandrels capped by moulded cornice; date plaque above. 4-bay return continued by school range has similar windows to front; archivolt-arched windows with console keys in architraves. Moulded eaves cornice. The school range has console-bracketed eaves and shaped kneelers to gable end, quoins. Possibly reuses materials from the 1806 chapel and manse. West elevation has 2 doorways with monolithic jambs and cornices on consoles and 2 bays of 3-light windows, taller on 1st floor. Simple Venetian window in gable. Interior: Complete c.1860 furnishings. Gallery with curved end on pews, ornately carved oak rails to platform by Mitchells of Halifax. Ornate warble pulpit with alabaster panels, good bas relief designed by Anthony Welsh 1891 and donated by the Mitchell family who gave the stained glass, by Powell Brothers of Leeds between 1859-1900. The archway of the deep organ loft has ornate Oinceaux work. The organ loft wagon roof retains original star spangled azure colour scheme but the original elaborate stencilwork decoration of the body of the chapel has been overpainted. Ornate, partly pendant pierced-work rose vent in centre of ceiling. Wall monuments to John Fawcett and to Richard Smith first minister who died in 1817. Wainsgate is an early Baptist site, the chapel being founded in 1759 by the famous Baptist preacher and author John Fawcett DD, also associated with Heptonstall Slack and Hebden Bridge Chapels (q.q.v.), whose tomb (q.v.) is in the graveyard.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.