You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 425288  

Print Page



© Mr Paul Alistair Bloomer ARPS

IoE Number: 425288
Location: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET (south side)
  CARLTON, GEDLING, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Paul Alistair Bloomer ARPS
Date Photographed: 27 August 1999
Date listed: 27 April 1987
Date of last amendment: 27 April 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

GEDLINGCHURCH STREETSK 64 SWCarlton(south side)7/49Church of St. Paul

GEDLING CHURCH STREET SK 64 SW Carlton (south side) 7/49 Church of St. Paul G.V. II Parish church. 1885 and 1891. Designed by W. A. Coombs for the 4th Earl of Carnarvon. Red brick with gabled, hipped and conical slate roofs. Romanesque Basilica style. Ashlar and yellow terra-cotta dressings. Chamfered plinth, pilasters, string courses, lintel band, moulded and cogged eaves, coped gables, rainwater heads dated 1884 and 1891. Windows are leaded double and triple round headed lancets with round shafts. Nave with clerestory,north and south aisles, north and south porches, apsidal baptistry, organ chamber, vestry, chancel, apsidal sanctuary. Nave has coped east gable with cross. Clerestory has on each side 6 double lancets. West end has moulded round window and ornamented gable with shouldered gabled bell turret with niche containing figure. flanked by single square buttresses, each with shafted dummy turret with pyramid roof. Left buttress has bell on bracket with copper hood. North and south aisles have each 6 lancets. Similar north and south porches have to west, a pair of doors in round headed openings. Each has 2 round windows in its side. Apsidal baptistry has 5 lancets. Flanked by single lancets under lean-to roofs. Square organ chamber has to north 5 bay blind arcade containing 2 lancets. East side has similar arcade with single lancet. Square choir vestry has in west return angle hipped porch with round window and door. To south, a lancet and to right, lean-to porch with door and round window. East side has 3 lancets. Chancel has, above, 2 round windows each side. Apsidal sanctuary has Slancets separated by half- round pilasters. Nave has cogged and dentillated sill band and moulded clerestory lintel band. Moulded queen post roof on timber and brick corbels. 6 bay arcades with round ashlar piers and polychrome round brick arches with hood moulds. West end has moulded round arch flanked by single smaller arches. Aisles have moulded window openings and lean-to roofs on corbels. North aisle has to east, round arched organ opening. South aisle has to east, panelled wood enclosure with triptych and broken pediment, forming chapel and vestry, 1896 and 1953. Polychrome chancel arch has shaft responds. Chancel has balustraded marble screen wall, 1912, with central half round steps. Lintel and sill bands and barrel vaulted king post roof. North side has archway containing organ. South side has similar arch containing 2 bay arcade. Domed sanctuary has to north, round headed aumbry and to south, round headed double sedilia. Above, 5 windows, 3 with stained glass, 1933 and 1947. Fittings include square font on clustered round stem. Carved wood altar and gradine. Panelled oak stalls and desks carved by Eric Gill, 1903. Scrolled brass lectern on bracketed marble steps and stand. C19 benches. Chamfered oak pulpit, C20. Memorials include 2 war memorial tablets, c.1920.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.