You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 427346  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Tree

IoE Number: 427346
Location: TOWER MILL IMMEDIATELY WEST OF MILL HOUSE,
  STANSFIELD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr Peter Tree
Date Photographed: 26 August 2004
Date listed: 13 December 1991
Date of last amendment: 13 December 1991
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

STANSFIELD-TL 75 SE7/10000Tower Mill immediatelywest of Mill House

STANSFIELD - TL 75 SE 7/10000 Tower Mill immediately west of Mill House II Tower mill, now derelict. Datestone "W E 1840", for William Everard. Probably by Bear of Sudbury. Red brick, partly missing cement render. Battered tower of 5 storeys, circular on plan; a few brick courses are missing at the top. Cap and sails removed since at least 1920's. 2 entrance doorways and 2 first floor loading doorways; boarded doors (some missing). Various window openings under segmental arches, 2 retaining 12-paned sash windows, the other windows missing. Interior: Some pitch pine main floorbeams, mostly supported on cast iron brackets'. Surviving machinery includes: lower half of wooden upright shaft, on which is mounted a wooden clasp-arm spurwheel with 2 sets of cogs, facing outwards and downwards, for main and auxiliary drives respectively; both stone nuts; some tentering gear including one pair of governors; cast iron pinion drive off spurwheel; a bolter, wire machine and smutter. The bolter is the last such machine to survive in a Suffolk windmill. This, together with some of the other machinery, was probably re-used from an earlier mill on the site.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.