You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 427654  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Sargeant

IoE Number: 427654
Location: THE BEDE HOUSE, CHURCH LANE
  LYDDINGTON, RUTLAND, RUTLAND
Photographer: Mr Peter Sargeant
Date Photographed: 25 June 2004
Date listed: 10 November 1955
Date of last amendment: 10 November 1955
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LYDDINGTONCHURCH LANESP 8697-8797 SP 8696-87968/579/5710.11.55The Bede House.

LYDDINGTON CHURCH LANE SP 8697-8797 SP 8696-8796 8/57 9/57 10.11.55 The Bede House. GV I Solar wing of former palace of the Bishops of Lincoln, converted to bedehouse c.1600. Possibly late C12-C13 in origin. Bishop Burghersh was given licence to crenellate 1336 and basis of surviving structure is early-mid C14. Main upper chambers refenestrated and probably re-roofed late C15. Further alterations early C16 and c.1600. NE end, formerly chapel, much rebuilt 1767 as dated on chimney; entrance verandah added to NW side 1745. Coursed ironstone rubble with pale limestone dressings, NE end rebuilt in ashlar. Collyweston slate roof, ashlar chimneys. 2-storey SW bay, probably built as entrance tower but much altered; main block of 2 storey and attic, with great chamber and presence chamber over individual bede-houses, former chapel at NE end, and gabled stair projection to NW. Former hall, also to NW has been completely demolished. SE side: left bay projects, and has monopitch roof, off-set buttresses, and moulded eaves and string. Late C15 window of 4 cusped lights with Tudor hoodmould to first floor; blocked rectangular windows, one with hoodmould; blocked doorway with moulded 2-centred arch; later entry to through passage at right. Main block of 5 bays has 2 lateral chimneys with fluted octagonal shafts, and ridge chimneys with rectangular shafts. Off-set buttresses with cusped gablets. Ground floor has 4 2-light stone mullion windows, the left with ovolo mouldings, remainder chamfered with Tudor hoodmoulds. 4 late C15 4-light windows above have transoms, cusping, King mullions and hoodmoulds with carved head stops. Centre bay has canted limestone projection with matching bay window to first floor and blind lower storey. Bay at right end, rebuilt 1767 has matching buttresses, 2-light windows and gabled lateral stack with 4 fluted shafts on twin base. One gabled dormer with paired leaded lights. NW side: Main block has lateral chimney and 2 dormer gables with C16 3-light stone mullion windows, each light with 4-centred head. Verandah with pent roof shelters ground floor with irregular single lights and C17 3-light ovolo-moulded window to left. Central late C14-C15 moulded stone doorway with 4-centred arch and traceried spandrels. Smaller doorway with 4-centred chamfered arch to right. To left is stair projection with blind C16 2-light window to ground floor, and late C15 3-light arched window above. Lean-to along right side, with passage to door and large semi-circular arch to stairs. Interior: ground floor bedehouses have heavy cross beams in SW bays, one bay with late C14-C15 4-centred stone fireplace. Stairs lead up to pair of early-mid C14 doorways with moulded 2-centred arches and heraldic shields in spandrels. Great chamber and presence chamber have splendid early C16 wooden ceilings with moulded ribs and richly carved coving. Coving has series of blind tracery fans and vine-trail frieze below. Late C15-C16 stained glass. Late C14-C15 stone fireplace with square head in great chamber, also an internal porch. Presence chamber beyond has late C15 stone fireplace with moulded 4-centred arch and blind tracery panels with shields above. Above ceilings is fine C15 roof structure with arch-braced collar trusses, butt purlins and arched wind-braces. Scheduled ancient monument No 180. Under guardianship of English Heritage. (C and P Woodfield, The Palace of the Bishops of Lincoln at Lyddington, Leicester Transactions LVII 1981-82. Country Life July 24th 1909, p 126-134).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.