You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 429581  

Print Page



© Dr Gareth Morgan

IoE Number: 429581
Location: CHURCH OF ST JOHN,
  SKILGATE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Dr Gareth Morgan
Date Photographed: 08 September 2001
Date listed: 06 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 04 August 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SS92NE SKILGATE CPSKILGATE VILLAGE10/10Church of St John

SS92NE SKILGATE CP SKILGATE VILLAGE 10/10 Church of St John (formerly listed as Church of St John the Baptist) 6.4.59 G II* Parish church. Tower probably C14, tower arch and body of church rebuilt 1872, possibly incorporating some original masonry, architect unknown, builders How of Brompton Regis, choir stalls added and chancel floor relaid 1933, minor restoration 1972 when electricity installed. Random rubble local stone, flat bedded in tower, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, decorative ridge tiles. West tower, 2-bay nave and north aisle, south porch, chancel and vestry. Crenellated 2-stage tower, unbuttressed west end, large stepped buttresses at junction with nave rising to just below bell-openings, louvred lancet bell-openinqs, voussoirs of former west window cutting string courses, inserted C19 west window below, hoodmould with face terminals as on all other window openings, no west door; south front gabled single storey porch, moulded arch opening, detached piece of unidentified medieval stonework in porch, moulded arched inner doorway with square hole cut in left jamb, raised and fielded panel door, 3-light window to right, gabled top to stepped buttress at junction with chancel, two 2-light windows south front of chancel, 3-light east window, chamfered arched doorway to vestry, 2 lancets on north front, two 2-light windows to north aisle, 2-light window west end. Interior: rendered. C19 pointed arches resting on corbels to tower and chancel; scissor truss roofs to nave and chancel, latter with wall plate, monopitch roof to north aisle. C19 fittings including brass lectern with sconces, possibly by Bardman of Birmingham. (Allen, Exmoor Churches, 1974; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.