You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 430613  

Print Page



© Mr John Barker

IoE Number: 430613
Location: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS,
  NORTH BARROW, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John Barker
Date Photographed: 26 October 2003
Date listed: 24 March 1961
Date of last amendment: 24 March 1961
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NORTH BARROW CPST62NWNORTH BARROW VILLAGE4/73

NORTH BARROW CP ST62NW NORTH BARROW VILLAGE 4/73 Church of St Nicholas 24.3.61 GV II Anglican parish church. C14 origins, major restoration by H Perry of Blandford in 1860, Local grey lias stone cut and squared, Doulting stone dressings; plain clay tiles with bands of scallop tiles between coped gables with finials. Two cell plan of 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave, with south porch and west tower. Chancel has plinth, angled corner buttresses; C14 style tracery to 3-light east window, with arched head-stops; on south side west bay a pointed, chamfered arched doorway without label. Nave has plinth, bay buttresses; 2-light windows matching chancel east window, having arched head stop labels on south and foliage stop on north. South porch has coped south gable with finial; plinth, angled corner buttresses; finely moulded outer pointed archway with head-stop arched label; inside a moulded 4-centre arched doorway with C19 door. Tower of 3 stages, some C14 and Cl5 work: plinth, string courses, the uppermost with gargoyles, and battlemented parapet screening pitched clay tile roof to stair exit, being within tower proper, no separate turrets: moulded almost semi-circular arched west doorway with early door; above a 2-light C14 traceried window: stages 1 and 2 otherwise plain except for single cusped lancet without label to south face stage 2 to all faces stage 3 small 2-light C14/C15 traceried windows without labels, having pierced timber baffle boards - each window has chamfered timber central mullion, but stone tracery over. Interior mostly C19 in character, very simple. Chancel has braced king-post roof truss and exposed rafters, a C14 piscina, a C20 large-size quarry tiled floor, and a later C14 wide chancel arch. Nave has similar roof trusses but the rafters are concealed by boarding; narrow Cl4 tower arch to west, with, early bell- capitals to single side shafts. Fittings include C17 altar table, and fine hexigonal tulip-bowl font with ribs to angles, on single chamfered square plinth and base, possibly C13; otherwise fittings all C19 or C20. Memoria1s include 2 C18 Keinton slabs with incised lettering and decoration on south wall of nave. First recorded incumbent 1312. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.