You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 430755  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 430755
Location: CHURCH OF ST JOHN,
  TATWORTH AND FORTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 27 August 2003
Date listed: 30 November 1987
Date of last amendment: 30 November 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST3205 TATWORTH AND FORTON CP TATWORTH12/105 Church of St John-

ST3205 TATWORTH AND FORTON CP TATWORTH 12/105 Church of St John - GV II Chapelry, now parish church, 1851, vestry extended with church rooms late C20 (not of special interest). Architect John Pinch of Bath, builder Davis of Langport. Early English style. Random rubble chert and local stone, stepped buttresses of chert stone to every bay, Ham stone dressings, plinth slate roofs, coped verges. Five bay aisless nave, chancel, organ bay opening into vestry with church roots extension, Stone pyramid roofed octagonal drop finial, 5 lancet windows below; all other windows with hood- moulds and face terminals, south front one lancet left and 3 right of single storey gabled porch, pointed arch opening with double chaafer, squared and coursed stone walls with stole benches inset pointed arch doorway, door with decorative hinge, chancel 2-light window south front, 3-light east window, vestry with 2-liqht window and chimney at junction with chancel, C20 building abutting, west front of vestry shouldered doorway approached by flight of 3 steps, 5 lancets on north front. Interior rendered. Pointed, chamfered chancel arch with dwarf stone walls and arcade with marble columns facing nave. Ceiled and boarded barrel vault in chancel, arch braced king post roof carried on carved corbels in nave. West end gallery, carried on 2 painted wooden columns with brackets springing from entablature, double flight of stairs centre of west wall. Marble tesserie to sanctuary, Minton tiles in chancel. Reredos of carved wood designed and executed by Henry Stuart King, Vicar, 1901. Painted wooden Gothlc style pulpit on stone base with marble columns approached by flight if stone steps. Octagonal font of Portland stone. Oil painting on canvas of The Man of Sorrows. Some stained glass; east end dated 1905, south chancel window 1962. The ecclesiastical parish was forged in 1866, (Pevsner, N. Buildings of England, South and West Somerset,1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.