You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 431569  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 431569
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY,
  WAMBROOK, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 21 August 2003
Date listed: 04 February 1958
Date of last amendment: 04 February 1958
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST20NE WAMBROOK CP WAMBROOK VILLAGEILLAGE7/127Church of St Mary4. 2,58

ST20NE WAMBROOK CP WAMBROOK VILLAGE ILLAGE 7/127 Church of St Mary 4. 2,58 GV II* Parish church. C13 in origin, C15 nave rebuilt and porches added, bell-tower extant by 1405, 1812 chancel rebuilt except south wall, roof and upper walls of nave renewed, vestry added, church restored and refitted; 1932 south porch roof restored to the design of Herbert Read, 1963 south porch converted to chapel, north porch closed and entrance via west door of tower; tower undergoing restoration at time of survey (October 1985). Random rubble chert stone, west face of tower squared and coursed chert banded and dressed limestone, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, plain clay tile to chancel, coped verges, west tower with north-east stair turret, 3-bay aisless nave, north and south porches now blocked, entry via west tower, north-east vestry and chancel. Crenellated 3-stage tower with setback buttresses rising almost to parapet, 2-light louvred bell-openings, continuous hoodmould to 3-light best window resting on Ham stone pierces quatrefoil decorative string, Tudor arch head doorway; C19 door: on north face below bell-opening 2-light trefoil- headed window with quatrefoil pierced panels, (one missing at tide of survey); polygonal stair turret rising above tower. south front of nave 4-light Tudor arch head mullion window left of single storey gabled porch flanked by stepped buttresses to nave wall, moulded arch head blocked doorway opening with inserted 3-light window, to right 3-light cinquefoil headed mullioned window, stepped buttress to nave, 2-light window and lancet to unbuttressed chancel, 3-light east window, lancet on-north face, vestry with lancet on east face, 2-light window on north face with chimney in gable end, door on west front, small rood stair light with 4-centred arch head, 3-light cinquefoil- headed mullioned window left of former porch flanked by stepped buttresses against nave wall, hoodmould of original entrance remains, inserted C20 2- light window, nave unlit to right. Handsome cast-iron rainwater pipes c1812, Interior: rendered; remains of colour on jambs of north-east nave window. C19 Perpendicular-style chancel arch with low wall and 4 steps down to nave; hollow wave moulded chancel arch; former south doorway to nave with chamfered columns, mutilated inmost and Norman arch; C19 arch to former north entrance.Unexplained infill with pointed top at junction of north wall with stair turret. Chamfered Tudor arch head stiar turret door way. C19 roofs; very shallow wagon roof to chancel, ribbed and boarded over sanctuary with moulded Ham stone wallplate; nave shallow ribbed wagon roof; south porch wagon roof ribbed with wallplate and carved bosses restored 1932. West gallery in tower carried on cast iron columns with decorative capitals, Cl9 wooden balustrade. Some C15 ends reset. Pulpit composed of liienfold panelling of uncertain age. Octagonal C13 font with C17 flat ribbed cover. Painted latin inscriptions on pieces of wood in chancel, thought to be cautions to medieval wallpaintings of the Passion now vanished. royal Coat of Arms (Queen Anne) dated 1703 and subsequently repainted. Collection of C19 memorial tablets of members of the Beviss family, white marble and slate; 2 signed by Stephens of Exeter, one by Fentiman, Taunton. Decorative C19 leading to all windows, some medieval glass in north wall of chancel, Wooden bier with rubber wheels in tower. Bells (i) and (ii) 1892 John Warner and Sons, London, recast from the C15 tenor bell, (iii) and (iv) early C14 Bristol foundry, (v) early C16 Thomas Jeffries Bristol, the church is mentioned as a chapel 1215-20, In the 1560s the roof was thatched and shingled but was leaded by 1613, Proposals for a rebuilding of the fabric in 1860 was not executed. (VCH Vol IV, 1978)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.