You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 433625  

Print Page



©  Michael Bass

IoE Number: 433625
Location: CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET, CHURCH ROAD (east side)
  BREAN, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Photographer: Michael Bass
Date Photographed: 11 August 2005
Date listed: 09 February 1961
Date of last amendment: 09 February 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST25NEBREAM CPCHURCH ROAD (East sidel1/12Church of St Bridget9.2.61

ST25NE BREAM CP CHURCH ROAD (East sidel 1/12 Church of St Bridget 9.2.61 - II* Parish Church. Originating from C13, predominantly C15, much rebuilt cica 1882. Coursed and squared rubble, coped verges, cruciform finials, slate roofs. Nave, chancel, South tower with entrance porch to ground floor. Perpendicular features. Plain squat saddleback tower created when struck by lightening, stone plaque to West inscribed:- "John Binchen Churchwarden 1729" commemorating the rebuild, plain semi-circular head door opening to South, C19 ribbed door, in the porch a stoup; C13 inner door opening of 2 recessed orders. Three bay nave, 3-light windows, those to South with cambered heads, window to centre of Worth wall with sole remaining original tracery; those to North with rere-arches. C19 chancel of a single bay; of similar date the chancel arch flanked by 2 corbels carved as heads, of the late C14 to hold the former lenten veil. Reused scalloped C15 piscina to chancel which is on encaustic tile floor; C19 stone reredos, altar rail and stalls with poppey heads. Pulpit dated 1620; lectern carved as a bold eagle dated 1892; carved C14/C15 octagonal font on a base with foiled niches; full set of C19 pews, the ends with plain thin poppy heads in immitation of a C15 pew remaining under the tower. Tablet to Edmund Hicks of 1893 by Cox of Weston. Late C18 strong-box under tower; 2 C19 chairs to chancel. C19 arched braced roofs to nave and chancel. Tower with 3 pre-reformation bells. All windows with simple leaded lights and stained glass. Church established on site in C6 probably by Irish monks and dedicated to the Celtic saint, St Brigit of Kildare. (Church Guide; N Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.