You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 433819  

Print Page



©  Gill Cardy ARPS

IoE Number: 433819
Location: MONKTON HOUSE WITH ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS, MELKSHAM ROAD (south off)
  ATWORTH, WEST WILTSHIRE, WILTSHIRE
Photographer: Gill Cardy ARPS
Date Photographed: 14 August 1999
Date listed: 13 November 1962
Date of last amendment: 13 November 1962
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BROUGHTON GIFFORDMELKSHAM ROADST 86 SE(off south side)4/78Monkton House, withattached garden walls

BROUGHTON GIFFORD MELKSHAM ROAD ST 86 SE (off south side) 4/78 Monkton House, with attached garden walls 13.11.62 GV II* Detached house. Late C16, range added to east early C17. Rubble stone, stone slate roofs with coped verges, lateral and gable end stone stacks. L-plan early range with stair turret in angle, parallel range added to north east side. Two-storey and attic, 2- window south front. Fine door to gable end of C17 range to right with oval panel, carved Thynne family motto AY BONNE CAUSE and a carved stag to centre, moulded stone architrave with pediment, 4- light mullioned and transomed casement with king mullion and relieving arch to left, 2-light mullioned casement to right. Two attic gables with 3-light and single-light mullioned casements; all hollow-chamfered, 1647 datestone to right gable end. Right return of C17 range has lean-to porch to left with fixed windows and casements ledged door within, two 2-light recessed hollow-chamfered mullioned casements with hoodmoulds to right, three 2-light and one single hollow-chamfered casement to first floor, two attic gables with 2-light mullioned casements, large raking buttress to left. To left of entrance front, the angle of the 'L' is filled with gabled stair turret with 2-light and 3-light mullioned casements, each arm of the 'L' has lateral gabled stack, 2-light mullioned casements to left. Left return has French windows, 4-light and 2- light mullioned casements. Rear of main range has 3-light mullioned and transomed casement to right, 2-light and 3-light mullioned casement with relieving arches to left, gable end of north east range has continuous string courses, main range has two attic gables. Interior: C16 range retains many original features; deep chamfered beams , wainscot panelling and good doors with moulded ribs, ornamental hinges and decorated locks. Room to left of entrance has early C18 full moulded panelling, 2 good doors with eared architraves and pulvinated friezes and cornices. Good stairs in angle of 'L', framed with square newels with ogee finials and pendants, closed strings, moulded handrail and moulded turned balusters, concealed behind boarding but exposed on attic landing. Original collar and tie beam roof with queen struts. First floor south west drawing room with wainscot panelling, good doors with cock's head hinges, Tudor-arched stone fireplace with consoles to cornice, possible garderobe. C17 wing has newel stairs up to attics. First floor room has Tudor-arched stone fireplace with 4 quatrefoils, strapwork cartouches and frieze with fruit and cherubs, ceiling cornice. South east attic room has unusual rib-vaulted plaster ceiling with thin moulded ribs and small stone Tudor-arched fireplace. Acquired by Henry Long of Whaddon in 1550s, Thomas Long sold the property to James Thynne of Longleat in 1670. Attached to right of front are good rubble stone walls with saddleback coping, round-arched doorway with ribbed door in north east angle of wall, probably c.1600. (VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 7, 1953; Countryside Treasures, 1969; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.