You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 434632  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 434632
Location: HADSPEN HOUSE,
  PITCOMBE, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 24 March 1961
Date of last amendment: 24 March 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

PITCOMBE CPST63SEHADSPEN5/244Hadspen House24.3.61

PITCOMBE CP ST63SE HADSPEN 5/244 Hadspen House 24.3.61 GV II* Country House. Mostly C18. Cary stone ashlar; hipped Welsh slate roof behind parapets; stone chimney stacks. Originally solid "U"-plan with C19 and C20 extensions; 2 storeys with attics; 5 bay South front, the centre 3 bays slightly projecting. Plinth, rustic quoins to centre bays, cornice, low parapet with coping, with pediment over centre bays: 12-pane sash windows to ground floor, set in architraved surrounds with pedimented heads, triangular to bays 1 and 5, segmental bays 2 and 4; central part-glazed doors set in porch with Doric columns and pilasters, full entablature with metopes and pediment hood: first floor has 9-pane sashes in architraved surrounds; behind parapets 4 hipped roof dormers with 2-light casement windows. West elevation of matching 4 bays, with projecting single storey porch having rusticated ashlar, plinth, cornice, coped parapet and Doric columns supporting full entablature and pedimented hood protecting 6-panel door: Westwards extension from North West corner in plainer style, dated 1886. East elevation of 5 bays; bay 1 matches, then 4 plain bays leading to plainer Eastwards extension with segmental curved end, date on weathervane 1909. Rear extension Northwards of 1828. Inside, rooms of several periods: South West room, the library, has good cornice, fireplace surround and Chippendale style built-in bookcases; South East sitting room has cornice, fireplace, dado and plaster panelled walls; East dining room has cornice, marble fireplace flanked by statue niches, plain dado and Adamesque plasterwork decoration to walls; North West room has early C18 dado panelling, possibly adapted; main stair at rear early C19, but stairs from first floor to attic of C18 - at foot a 2-panel door with detached pediment doorcase. Original farmhouse built by William Player, 1687 to 1699; sold to Vickris Dickinson in 1747, again in 1767 and finally to Hobhouse family, present owners, in 1785. House improved between 1767 and 1791, when Collinson was able to describe it as "recently much improved" - ceilings of front rooms raised 1786-87, wth some other works; major alterations and additons to rear in 1828, 1886 and 1909 - good quality work of each period. (Andrew Raven, Hadspen House, Unpublished architectural thesis for RWA Bristol, undated).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.