You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 436055  

Print Page



© Mr James A. Ray

IoE Number: 436055
Location: PHYSICS, BIOCHEMISTRY, PHYSIOLOGY, PATHOLOGY AND OLD ANATOMY SCHOOLS TOGETHER WITH FORMER MEDICAL MUSEUM TO REAR, ASHTON STREET
  LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL, MERSEYSIDE
Photographer: Mr James A. Ray
Date Photographed: 04 November 2002
Date listed: 25 January 1990
Date of last amendment: 03 July 1991
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for: SJ 3590 SE CITY OF LIVERPOOL ASHTON STREET 55/793 Physics, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pathology and Old Anatomy Schools GV II The address and the description shall be amended to read: SJ 3590 SE CITY OF LIVERPOOL ASHTON STREET 55/793 Physics, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pathology and Old Anatomy Schools together with former Medical Museum to rear. GV II The last sentence of the description shall be deleted and "To the rear of these ranges is the former Medical Museum; brick ashlar faced to two sides with slate and part-glazed roof. 1873; it formed an extension in the same Clanical style to a substantial range of 1844, (School of Medicine), now demolished. Shaped plinth, Tuscan pilasters, pedimented to north end facing Dover Street. To ashlared N and W elevations central, part blocked windows with architrave and pediment (segmental to N). Interior: 4-bay roof with iron canted principals and decorated spandrels. Narrow balcony to all sides with Gothic iron tracery fontals, shaped brackets and thick glazed floor designed to give light to specimens displayed below. Tiled floor. An interesting survival of a late-C19 museum" shall be added. This building has been added to the list by Amendment No 16 on the 25 January 1990. ------------------------------------ The following buildings shall be added: SJ 3590 SE CITY OF LIVERPOOL ASHTON STREET 55/793 Physics, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pathology and Old Anatomy Schools GV II University lecture rooms and offices. 1901-4 by Alfred Waterhouse (his last recorded work) and completed by his son Paul Waterhouse. Cault brick with terracotta detailing; Welsh slate roofs. Plan: a long and varied range that runs parallel to Waterhouse's Victoria Buildings (Ref 55/103) forming the north side of a quadrangle. Mainly 3 storeys with basement; many changes of plane and varied roof-lines animate the principal elevation which (to the left) returns to form the rear wing of the Anatomy School, and (to the right) returns forward by one bay to form part of the west side of the quadrangle adjacent to Ashton Building Row (Ref 55/176). There are three principal sections: (1) the Physics and Biochemistry blocks to the right; (2) Thompson Yates Laboratories (Physiology and Pathology); (3) Anatomy Building to the left. (1) The Physics and Biochemistry blocks are connected by a 2-storey vehicular arching with wide semi-circular arch (brick with stone voussoirs forming horizontal bands), and 4-light window above set between shallow pilasters; moulded string and cornice band. To the right (Physics), roughly central 4-stage tower with pyramidal cap, 2 and 3-light windows of varied design to each stage; gabled 2 and 4-window range to left and right respectively, then to left with 2 corbelled stone 1:2:1 light oriels with 2 wide 3-light windows under shallow segmental chamfered arches below, and, to right, the principal entrance set within deeply splayed surround and round-headed arch with decorative stone detailing and elaborate copperwork nameplate filling tympanum; simple 2-light windows to other floors. To the left of connecting arch, a more simply treated 4-bay range (Biochem- istry), with entrance bay to extreme left (stone rusticated architrave and pediment) of an otherwise symmetrical composition under central gable; simple terracotta pilasters, stone strings and 2 and 3-light windows with stone mullions and transoms. (2) The Thompson Yates Building is a long 10-window range punctuated by 3 gabled shallow wings; tall 2-light windows throughout with, for part of its length, a blind arcade of pointed arches below eaves level; sill and lintel bands; to left gable a large terracotta name plaque adourned with semi-reclining figures. End and ridge stacks with coupled shafts separated by central arch. Rear with impressive stair turret, heavily buttressed with staggered round-headed windows. (3) Anatomy Building. Gabled wing to right, 4 storeys, the mainly 3-light windows set under a superordinate arch. Regular fenestration between this and the left corner which is occupied by the Lecture Theatres: here 5 segmental bays are divided by full-height buttresses, each with set-offs and gable. Deeply overhanging eaves to slate roof of 2 pitches, the slope divided by 3-light windows (forming a clerestory to upper theatres); tall 2-light windows to lower floors. Left return with elab- orately treated projecting entrance tower will all-over terracotta detailing; 3 storey side elevation, 5 bays with regular paired windows to each floor, the 2 lower floors with superordinate arch. Ashton Street range (of Physics and Biochemistry Building): asymmetrical 7-bay range under 3 gables. The 4 left- hand bays of 1:2:1 with moulded cornice, the gable with flanking pinnacles. 2-light windows to all floors, those to ground and first floor with transoms as well as mullions; keyed oculus to gable wall. Right-hand bays of different build with square-headed windows to upper floors, all of 2 lights, the ground floor windows with segmental arches, the 3-light casement windows deeply recessed. Interior: Lecture Theatres survive intact, one above the other, with steeply tiered panelled seats.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.