© Mr M. J. Davies
MARGATE RAILWAY STATION, STATION ROAD
MARGATE, THANET, KENT
Mr M. J. Davies
26 October 2005
25 August 1987
Date of last amendment:
25 August 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
878/10/345A STATION ROAD
25-AUG-87 Margate Railway Station
Railway station. Built in 1926 in a monumental classic style. The architect is thought to have been Edwin Maxwell Fry, chief assistant to J R Scott. Engineer A W Szlumper. Built of brown brick with stone dressings and hipped tiled roof. Comprises central tall booking hall flanked by lower 5 bay wings terminating in higher pavilions. Central block has very deep entablature and giant round-headed arch with Diocletian opening to light Booking Hall. Below this are 4 columns with rectangular fanlights between and modern aluminium doors. Flanking the arch are 2 projecting 1 storey 1 bay pavilions with stone Doric pilasters and architraves and 9 pane sash windows to front and round-headed sash with moulded stone architraves to the sides. 1 storey wings with deep stone cornice and 5 round-headed windows with top opening lights in moulded stone architrave separated by stone roundels with busts.
Right side wing has modern double doors inserted in last bay for buffet doors. Left side has central doorcase in original entablature for luggage hall. Pavilions have deep entablatures with panels and Doric pilasters all faced with stone. Right side pavilion has large door with grille above. Left side pavilion has 9 paned sash. This station replaced an earlier railway station demolished when the lines were rationalized in 1926. Booking hall in the grand manner, with elliptically vaulted booking hall, pendant lights. Ramsgate Station was built by the same architect in the same year (Ramsgate CP Station Approach Road).
In 1923 E Maxwell Fry joined the Architect's Department of the Southern Railway as its chief assistant. Margate reflects Fry's Classical training under Charles Reilly at the Liverpool School, and his absorption of classical detailing and planning is the clue to this station's special qualities. Fry went on to loudly embrace the international modern style, one of the first native-born architects to do so in England. He later became coy about his years with Southern Railways.
Information from Gavin Stamp