You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 441775  

Print Page



© Miss Alison Keay

IoE Number: 441775
Location: CHURCH OF ST ANNE, ST ANNE'S LANE (north side)
  SUTTON BONINGTON, RUSHCLIFFE, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Miss Alison Keay
Date Photographed: 13 August 2002
Date listed: 13 October 1966
Date of last amendment: 13 October 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SUTTON BONINGTONST. ANNE'S LANESK 52 NW(north side)4/110Church of St. Anne13.lO.66

SUTTON BONINGTON ST. ANNE'S LANE SK 52 NW (north side) 4/110 Church of St. Anne 13.lO.66 II* Parish church. C13, C14, C19, restored 1860 and 1877, 1903. Ashlar and dressed coursed rubble. Slate roofs with decorative ridge to the chancel. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the east and west chancel. Nave with west bellcote, north aisle and vestry, south porch and chancel. Buttressed. The south nave is set on a moulded plinth and the north aisle on a chamfered plinth. C19 gabled bellcote with 2 arches each with single bell. The west nave wall has a single C19 arched 3 light window with intersecting tracery, hood mould and label stops. The west wall of the aisle has a single similar smaller C14 restored 3 light window. The north wall has a single C14 arched 2 light window with Y tracery. Projecting from the left is the gabled 1903 vestry with Caernarvon arched doorway in the west wall and single arched 3 light window with intersecting tracery, hood mould and label stops in the north wall. The east wall has a single trefoil. To the left of the vestry in the aisle is a single similar 2 light C14 window. The east wall of the aisle has a single C14 window with 2 arched lights under a flat arch. The north wall of the chancel has a single C14 window with 2 ogee arched and cusped lights under a flat arch. To the left is a single window with 2 round arched lights under a flat arch. The east chancel has a single restored C14 arched window with intersecting tracery and hood mould. The apex is decorated with blind cusped tracery. The south wall of the chancel has a single cinquefoil arched light. To the left is a single small rectangular light and on the far left a single small C14 arched 2 light window with Y tracery, hood mould and label stops. The south nave has a single similar larger C14 window with hood mould and label stops and continuous sill band broken by the gabled C19 porch with chamfered arched entrance and single quatrefoil over, east wall with single small rectangular opening. Interior with re-used ashlar benches and inner moulded arched doorway with hood mould and label stops. To the left is a single similar C14 2 light window with hood mould and label stops. Interior. 3 bay C14 nave arcade with octagonal column and respond to the west and circular column to the east, the eastern respond being a corbel. Moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner order supported on octagonal columns and moulded capitals. Traceried screen. The south east chancel window has a low sill forming a sedilia. To the left is a rectangular piscina. The north wall with depressed moulded arched tomb recess containing a damaged C15 alabaster effigy of a Knight. To the left is a recess for the organ. The south nave wall has a small arched piscina. The south and west nave and the north wall of the aisle have continuous sill bands broken by the doorways. The north wall of the aisle with doorway to the vestry. C14 octagonal font decorated with quatrefoil panels, C19 cover, remaining furniture C19 with carved reredos. The south wall has a Benefactions board. The west window of the nave probably by Morris & Co. South east chancel window by Moore & Co., London.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.