© Dr Geoffrey Court
MEMORIAL CHAPEL, MANOR ROAD (south side)
WALLASEY, WIRRAL, MERSEYSIDE
Dr Geoffrey Court
18 February 2002
20 January 1988
Date of last amendment:
20 January 1988
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SJ 39 SW WALLASEY MANOR ROAD
3/53 Memorial Chapel
Unitarian Chapel. 1898-9. By Waring and Rathbone. Arts
and Crafts style. Brick with stone dressings, tile roof.
Rectangular 6-bay chapel has narthex, hall to left and
vestry, library etc to rear. Stone quoins, flush bands and
coped gables. Gable-end of chapel has 5 half-octagonal
shafts with wrought iron finials and 2 ovolo-mullioned
windows of 3 lights with 2 transoms, leaded glazing and
cornice. Nathex has plain cornice; 5-light mullioned window
with datestone to left. Porch to left in form of octagonal
turret has 3 round arches on squat columns with entasis and
stiff-leaf capitals. Winged allegorical figures to angles
support half-octagonal shafts with wrought iron finials.
Upper stage has cross-mullioned windows to alternate faces,
cornice and ramped parapet; pyramidal roof. Round-headed
entrances have paired fielded-panelled doors. Right angle
of narthex has small recessed porch with round arches to
front and return on columns as above. Hall has hipped roof
and ramped parapet; 4-light window with king mullion and 3
transoms. Right return has mullioned and transomed windows
between flat buttresses. Interior: End bay forms small
raised chancel with screen of 3 round arches. Arch-braced
timber roof. Important furnishings by Bromsgrove Guild,
with painted decoration by Bernard Sleigh; commumion table,
pulpit and choir stalls. Decorative iron work, electroliers
etc, by Walter Gilbert, who made copper panels for lectern.
4 panels of Birkenhead Della Robbia Ware in chancel.