You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 445085  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 445085
Location: THE RUINS OF SHURLAND HALL OR CASTLE, LEYSDOWN ROAD (east side)
  EASTCHURCH, SWALE, KENT
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 14 May 1952
Date of last amendment: 14 May 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LEYSDOWN ROAD5282(East Side)Eastchurch, SheernessThe Ruins of Shurland Hall

LEYSDOWN ROAD 1. 5282 (East Side) Eastchurch, Sheerness The Ruins of Shurland Hall or Castle TQ 97 SE 13/144 14.5.52. II* GV 2. Built by Sir Thomas Cheney during the reign of Henry VIII partly of materials said to have been brought from Chilham Castle on the mainland of Kent, and then consisting of several courtyards. The portion that remains faces west. 2 storeys. Red brick with a diaper pattern of grey headers on a stone base. 6 windows, hung sashes with the remains of glazing bars but all the glass missing. The 2 centre window bays are flanked by octagonal turrets of 3 storeys each, which have stone quoins and castellated parapets. Within these at the north end is a tall and wide 4-centred stone doorway with dripstone, carved spandrels and an iron-studded door. 1 small ground floor window to the south of the main doorway is a former doorway. On each side of the turrets are 2 windows on the 1st floor and 1 window on the ground floor. Brick buttress at the south end. Projection at the north end with stone quoins, but now half collapsed. Part of the wing behind it, which is of stone, still remains. The east front has 4 casement windows of 2 lights, each with 4-centred heads, stone mullions and dripstones. Wide 4-centred stone doorway. To the east is a courtyard enclosed with the remains of a building to ground floor height, of red brick on the north side and of stone on the east side. Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn were entertained here on 7 October 1532, so the house was probably complete before that date.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.