You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 445801  

Print Page



© Mr John Barker

IoE Number: 445801
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER,
  SOUTH BARROW, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John Barker
Date Photographed: 26 October 2003
Date listed: 24 March 1961
Date of last amendment: 24 March 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SOUTH BARROW CPST62NWSOUTH BARROW VILLAGE4/131Church of St Peter

SOUTH BARROW CP ST62NW SOUTH BARROW VILLAGE 4/131 Church of St Peter 24.3.61 GV II* Anglican parish church. C14 or earlier. chancel added and church much restored in 1850. Local lias stone cut and squared, Cary stone dressings; plain clay tile roofs with ornamental clay ridge-pieces between stepped coped gables. Two-cell plan of 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave, with south porch and west tower. Chancel has plinth. angled corner buttresses, band course at cill level and eaves course; 3-light C15 style east window with arched label having square stops; plain rectangular chamfered windows in north and south walls, one only to the former. Nave has plinth, cill band, eaves course; paired lancet windows under double arched labels; on north wall a projection for the rood loft staircase, with small pierced light. South porch to match, with clasped corner buttresses, chamfered pointed outer arch and segmental inner arch, with dog-tooth label over doorway. Tower of 2 stages; plinth, string course, angled corner buttresses to full height, battlemented parapet which formerly had corner pinnacles; moulded 4-centre arched West door under square label with square stops, quatrefoils in spandrils; above a 3-light late C14 traceried window with arched label extended as a string; otherwise plain on lower stage; above, 2-light traceried windows in hollowed arched recesses having pierced stone baffles, one to each face, with additional single-light window below on south side: on north-east corner a square plan stair turret with pitched stone roof and slit windows. The interior simple, C19 in character. Chancel has moulded ribbed and boarded roof vault; a Cl4 sedilia, two blocked pointed arched recesses in north wall, and a C13 style chancel arch. Nave has similar roof, and tall wide tower arch, probably early C14, with bell-capitals to long single jamb shafts; most of rood loft stair survives in north wall, Fittings include Laudian altar rail and simple C17 altar table, C17 timber pulpit on C19 stone base, also a small sexton's desk of C17, and a number of C15 bench ends with a variety of carvings; font a chamfered cuboid bowl, lettered "1584/RM/SM", on possibly earlier shaft with attached corner shafts. Monuments include an engraved brass plate dated 1584, First recorded incumbent 1312. (Greenwood C and J, Somerset Delineated, 1822; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.