You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 445809  

Print Page



© Mr Duncan Miller

IoE Number: 445809
Location: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH HILL (west side)
  SOUTH CADBURY, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Duncan Miller
Date Photographed: 04 July 2004
Date listed: 24 March 1961
Date of last amendment: 24 March 1961
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SOUTH CADBURY CPCHURCH HILL (West side)ST62SWSUTTON MONTIS7/146Church of the Holy Trinity

SOUTH CADBURY CP CHURCH HILL (West side) ST62SW SUTTON MONTIS 7/146 Church of the Holy Trinity 24.3.61 GV I Anglican parish church. Saxon origins; surviving work of C12 and all subseqent periods. Cary stone roughly cut and squared, Doulting stone dressings; chancel roof has plain clay tiles with bands of fish-scale, nave has stone slates, both between stepped coped gables. Two cell plan of 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave, with low west tower, and north-west vestry. Chancel C12 and late C13, restored 1862: chamfered plinth, pairs corner and bay buttresses, all with offset, with headstop kneeler stones to gable coping: east window 3-light Geometric tracery under arched label with headstops, and below and to sides, set into wall, 3 C18 memorial plaques in keystoned architraved surrounds to members of Barton family (who provided rectors from 1573 to 1878 without break); extending from east buttresses a railed area with C18 wrot iron railings having spear-point tips and 3 cast-iron finials: on north side a 2-light C13 window, just post-plate tracery, under arched label with headstops, and wall lean to vestry with dated quoinstone of 1847, with east window to match north chancel window: on south side two similar windows, with indications of blocked doorway under westernmost; on centre buttress a sundial. Nave largely rebuilt 1805: buttresses with with offsets each end: on south side two 3-light windows, to left of portico a plain triple lancet, to right 3 ogee-arched lights with carved spandrils, both without labels; the portico presumably of 1805, Tuscan columns and pilasters on cube block bases carrying full plain entablature with pediment and pitched lead-covered roof: plain doorway with Gothic style door installed to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee 1897: north side has two Y-tracery windows without labels, with lean-to C20 heating chamber below. Tower low and squat, C12 origins, restored 1904; one stage only, with chamfered plinth, no buttress, simple upper string course below castellated parapet with corner obelisk pinnacles, C18 style: moulded pointed arched west door without label; above it a 3-light C15 traceried window of irregular geometry set in hollow-chamfered recess: above this a pair of slim lancet windows without label, matched by similar pairs on north and south sides, the latter off-centre, and on east side simple lancet to either side of pitched roof: square plan south east corner stair turret with lean-to stone roof with slit windows on east side. Inside, work of variety of periods. Chancel C13 in character: 19 roof and arch into organ chamber vestry: windows have fully-moulded rere-arches with attached bell cap shafts and arched labels on bell-capital corbels; partly restored C13 piscina in south-east corner. Chancel arch of early C12, with quintuple chevron mould under shaved-off label, plain chamfered impost blocks, and on nave side attached shafts one with fluted cap, the other with acanthus type foliage, and to south of arch a large squint: roof has molded timber rib and plaster panel ceiling with decorative bosses, possibly 1805; plain pointed arch with chamfered impost blocks into tower, late C12/early C13. Fittings in chancel C19, and nave pews installed 1912; fine early C17 timber pulpit with matching panelling, under C18 tester, all relocated from other side of chancel arch; font C15, octagonal with quatrefoil panels, moulded waterbowl and panelled shaft. Memorials include engraved brass in chancel to Jacobi Dupont, Lord of the Manor, died 1590; in nave, on north wall, tablet in architraved surround with semi-circular panel over to Ann Dymock, died 1735, also hatchment board dated 1805. Fragments of early medieval stained glass in west window. Photographs of church before 1912 show original site of pulpit, sexton's desk, and west end gallery, also featured in a cartoon of the church choir/band dated 1827. Tower has 3 bells of 1764, 1420 (Bristol) and 1636. One of few churches in this area not reconstructed in C14 or C15. (Holy Trinity Church of Sutton Montis, leaflet in church, no date; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, l958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.