You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 445885  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Cook

IoE Number: 445885
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH ROAD (east side)
  SPARKFORD, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Cook
Date Photographed: 05 April 2007
Date listed: 24 March 1961
Date of last amendment: 24 March 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SPARKFORD CPCHURCH ROAD (East side)ST62NW4/166Church of St Mary Magdalene24.3.61GVII*

SPARKFORD CP CHURCH ROAD (East side) ST62NW 4/166 Church of St Mary Magdalene 24.3.61 GV II* Parish church. C14 and later; nave 1824 by Thomas Ellis. Local grey lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roofs over stone slate base courses between coped gables. Four-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave, south-east vestry and south chapel with organ over, with west tower embracing shallow porch. Chancel mostly C14/15; chamfered plinth, angled corner buttresses, gabletted cross coping finial: east window 3-light C15 tracery, set in hollow chamfered recess under square stop arched label; single 2-light window to each side, set flush without labels could be C14 tracery; projecting south-east vestry without buttresses: coped south gable with cross finial; Y-tracery 2-light window in south wall, and segmental pointed arched doorway in west wall. Nave plain, without plinth or buttresses, having simple Y-tracery pointed arched windows, 3 to north and 2 to south, latter flanking projecting chapel and organ chamber, which has matching window in south wall; in both returns fragments of rural character C15 tracery, adapted as 2-light windows to the low level chapel; on west side door at upper level with flight of stone steps and simple wrot iron guide rails. Tower C14/C15 in 3 stages; double plinth, string courses and battlemented parapet corner pinnacles of odd pattern, probably C19; angled corner buttresses to full height, corner gargoyles: west door - the main entrance - has moulded 4-centre arch under square label with square stops, spandrils uncarved; above a C14/15 traceried 3-light window with arched square stop label; at second stage level a shallow statue niche on west side, with very rural detailed flattish canopy; on south side trefoil cusped single light window; to upper stage all round 2-light C15 traceried windows in hollow chamfered recesses without labels, all fitted with timber louvres; in north east corner a square plan stair turret to full height with slit windows. Interior mostly C19 in character, chancel has 3-plane rib and panel roof with bosses; rendered walls, no arch into vestry; chancel arch standard C15 roll and hollow moulded. Nave has similar ceiling, plain walls; tower arch probably C14 with double chamfer mou1d and bell capitals, with slim early C19 porch with fielded panel doors to west. Fittings include C19 choirstalls incorporating a number of fine C16 bench ends; a C17 altar table and wood pulpit, the latter with new lower panels having the IHS monogram; font probably C19; nave seats of wood and cast iron, park bench style; good C20 panelling to chapel under organ loft in south wall. One early memorial, a brass plate to Johes Clyke, died 1513, First recorder rector 1297. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, l958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.