You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 447632  

Print Page



© Mr Nigel Wood

IoE Number: 447632
Location: THE OLD MALTINGS AT FOUNTAIN HEAD BREWERY, MALTING ROAD (south side)
  HALIFAX, CALDERDALE, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Nigel Wood
Date Photographed: 13 June 2004
Date listed: 18 April 1990
Date of last amendment: 18 April 1990
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MALTING ROAD1164(South Side)OVENDEN WOODThe Old Maltings at

MALTING ROAD 1. 1164 (South Side) OVENDEN WOOD The Old Maltings at Fountain Head Brewery SE 02 NE 4/429 II 2. Maltings, now converted to offices,1906 altered 1987. By William Chambers of London for Samuel Webster and Co. Coursed dresses sandstone with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof. Symmetrical on axis with 8-bay centre having 4 storeys and 3 attic floors; 1 x 2 bay tower and 1-bay hoist tower against east end; broader and taller 3-storey, 3 x 6 bay range across west end. East tower is pierced by square-headed train entrance which occupies 3 storeys and has multiple brick-arched soffit; offset band and still band beneath segmentally-headed window with iron bars; small rectangular window beneath eaves band set on blocks; swept hipped roof capped by slate-hung louvre. Hoist tower to right rises 7 storeys with window to each floor and hipped roof. Main range has segmentally-arched windows; those to ground floor within plinth; 1st floor windows all blocked; offset band above 3rd storey; eaves band on blocks. Above bay 8 is a cantilevered wooden hoist housing 3 rows of triangular dormers staggered 3:4:3; slate-hung houses at each of ridge, central cowl. Range across west end: segmentally-arched ground-floor openings with wide doorway on right; pilasters rise from 1st floor band to divide each bay having blocked 1st floor windows beneath small- rectangular 2nd floor openings with crossed iron bars. Plain ashlar entablature with blocks at eaves. Twin hipped roofs sweep up to slate-hung louvres. An outstanding example of its type built to a scale that evinces the success of the late C19 brewery trade in this area. Local authority plans register shows the building to have been designed in 1898.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.