© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET AND REMAINS OF BEAUCHIEF ABBEY CHURCH, BEAUCHIEF ABBEY LANE (east side)
SHEFFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
11 June 2001
01 May 1952
Date of last amendment:
12 December 1995
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK38SW BEAUCHIEF ABBEY LANE
784-1/9/66 (East side)
01/05/52 Church of St Thomas a Becket and
remains of Beauchief Abbey Church
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Thomas a Becket &
remains of Beauchief Abbey Church)
Remains of Premonstratensian abbey, now a church. c1175 and
1662, restored C19. Founded as an abbey by Robert Fitzranulph,
dissolved 1536. Church established and remains restored by
Edward Pegge. Nave, west tower, and attached remains of walls.
Coursed rubble and ashlar with stone slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: gabled nave has chamfered plinth and incomplete
string course to north. East end has a 4-light pointed arched
window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould. South side has
a near-central round-headed C12 doorway, reglazed to form a
window. Attached to the south-east corner, a 7m length of
consolidated wall approx 3m high. Truncated west tower has a
moulded plinth, gabled angle buttresses and pyramidal roof
behind low parapet. To west, a reglazed early C14, 5-light
pointed arch window with rebated reveal and hoodmould. Below,
moulded Early English style doorway, its shafts missing, with
C20 double doors and glazing bar overlight. To north, a reset
C12 moulded doorway. To south, reset moulded C14 doorway, 3
orders. Tower north side has an ogee headed doorway with ogee
hoodmould and finial. East side has a large pointed arched
window with moulded head, covered by the nave.
INTERIOR has strutted queen post roof, C19. To west, double
chamfered tower arch with clustered piers and chamfered
responds. Cross beam ceiling under the tower. C17 box pews,
panelled octagonal oak pulpit with reading desk and clerk's
pew below. C19 octagonal font. Early C19 round-headed psalm
board with coat of arms. Mid C19 stained glass window.
Memorials include marble and slate tablet with figure, 1846,
by Henry Weekes to Elizabeth Burnell. Pedimented marble and
slate tablets, 1679 and 1774.
Beauchief Abbey is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West
Riding: London: 1967-: 475-6; Beauchief Abbey - a short
history & description: Robinson HC: Sheffield).