You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 456032  

Print Page



© Mr Charles Madders

IoE Number: 456032
Location: PLATT HALL, PLATT FIELDS PARK
  MANCHESTER, MANCHESTER, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Charles Madders
Date Photographed: 25 April 2002
Date listed: 25 March 1952
Date of last amendment: 06 June 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCHESTER SJ89SE PLATT FIELDS PARK, Fallowfield 698-1/9/685 Platt Hall 25/02/52 (Formerly Listed as: WILMSLOW ROAD, Fallowfield Platt Hall) GV II* Large house, now museum. c.1764, perhaps by Thomas Lightoler (Pevsner), for John and Deborah Carill Worsley. Red brick in Flemish bond, with sandstone dressings and hipped slate roofs. Rectangular main block with links to east and west pavilions. Palladian style. Three storeys and 2:3:2 bays with single-storey 3-bay links to 2-storey 3-bay pavilions; symmetrical. The main block has a 3-bay pedimented centre breaking forwards slightly, stone plinth, string-course to ground floor and sill-band to 1st floor, stone modillioned cornice and blocking course; a tetrastyle Ionic porch in the centre (up 3 shallow steps, now with a ramp to the right) with pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice, protecting a square-headed doorway with side-windows; 12-pane sashed windows at ground and 1st floors, and 9-pane sashes at 2nd floor, that in the centre at 1st floor with a pedimented architrave and that in the centre at 2nd floor with a shouldered architrave, and the others with flat-arched heads of gauged brick. Two chimneys to each side wall and another on the ridge. The links each have a pilastered round-headed arcade with imposts, a round-headed doorway in the centre with a panelled door and fanlight, and round-headed windows, all these with radiating glazing bars; the pavilions have similar arcaded windows at ground floor, a string course, and 9-pane sashes at 1st floor. Rear: the main block has low 6-pane sashes to ground floor, a round-headed blank arch in the centre containing a large Venetian stairwindow, and other windows like those at the front; east pavilion (former coach-house) has sandstone piers between the arches and 2 circular pitching holes above. Interior: fine elliptical imperial stone staircase with elaborate wrought-iron balustrade, and landing with Venetian screen composed of Corinthian columns in antis; pilasterd 1st-floor corridor with entablature, round-headed arches, pedimented doorway with moulded plaster tympanum, other doorways with decorated architraves, and all with octagonal panels; very fine 1st-floor dining room with Rococo stucco panels to the walls, moulded plaster conice, etc.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.