You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 456035  

Print Page



© Mr Leo Jacobs

IoE Number: 456035
Location: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, PLATT LANE (south side)
  MANCHESTER, MANCHESTER, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Leo Jacobs
Date Photographed: 03 March 2001
Date listed: 18 December 1963
Date of last amendment: 18 December 1963
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCHESTERSJ89SEPLATT LANE, Fallowfield698-1/9/688(South side)

MANCHESTER SJ89SE PLATT LANE, Fallowfield 698-1/9/688 (South side) 18/12/63 Church of Holy Trinity GV II* Church. 1845-6, by Edmund Sharpe. Yellow, buff and brown terracotta in imitation of stone (including mason's tooling marks); slate roof. Decorated style. Nave with south-west steeple, north and south aisles, chancel. The 3-stage tower has angle buttresses, a cusped south doorway in a 2-centred arched surround with 2 orders of moulding including set-in shafts with foliated caps, and a hoodmould with figured stops, 3-light windows to the 2nd stage with crocketed gablets, paired belfry windows with transoms and diamond-pattern terracotta grills, an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles and slender S-shaped flying buttresses to an octagonal drum at the base of the tall octagonal spire. The 5-bay nave has a west doorway like that to the tower, a tall traceried 4-light west window, and pairs of clerestory windows with terracota tracery and parapets faced with 4-petal tiles; the aisles have buttresses, 2-light windows with terracotta tracery and hoodmoulds, and similar tiled parapets; the lower 2-bay chancel has a parapet with mouchette openwork, and a 5-light east window with very elaborate mouchette tracery, and is now surrounded by a C20 flat-roofed addition. Interior: 5-bay arcades of 2-centred arches on quatrefoil piers of terracotta with heavily-foliated capitals; scissor-braced roofs to nave and chancel, with wall-posts rising from foliated corbels. History: the very unusual terracotta construction was suggested to Edmund Sharpe by colliery owner John Fletcher (who used colliery clay to make fire-bricks), for the church of St Stephen, Lever Bridge, Bolton, built 1842-5.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.