You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 456261  

Print Page

© Mr David Clayton

IoE Number: 456261
Photographer: Mr David Clayton
Date Photographed: 05 April 2002
Date listed: 01 May 1952
Date of last amendment: 01 May 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHEFFIELDSK3587SEPOND HILL784-1/25/602(South side)

SHEFFIELD SK3587SE POND HILL 784-1/25/602 (South side) 01/05/52 No.40 Old Queen's Head Public House II* Formerly known as: Hall i' th' Ponds POND HILL. House, now public house. c1475, with mid and late C19 and C20 additions, restored mid C20. Timber-framed front range, with rendered nogging, brick and dressed stone gables and steep pitched slate roof with 2 rendered gable stacks. Rear additions rendered, with hipped slate roofs and single rendered gable stack. EXTERIOR: front block, 2 storeys; 2 window range. Close studded first floor with coved jetty and eaves, with 2 large 3-light glazing bar casements. Ground floor has figure-carved posts and carved bressumer. Studs removed and replaced by rendered infill panels. To right, a recessed C19 door flanked to left by a paired plain sash and to right by an altered cross casement. Left gable has dressed stone ground floor with the tops of 2 posts and renewed bressumer. Above, 2 large 3-light glazing bar casements and below, to left, a C19 Tudor arched door. To right, a C19 cross casement and a small 2-light mullioned window. 3-storey rear addition has first-floor sillband and a 16 pane sash. Above, a 12 pane sash. Both these windows have multi keystone lintels. Below, a 16 pane sash. To left, a canted corner with a blocked door. At the rear, a late C19 addition, reduced to a single storey with flat roof, with three 16 pane sashes. INTERIOR has 3 figure carved posts on the ground floor, and may contain further timber framing and roof structure. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967-: 457).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.