© Dr Eric Ritchie
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, DALE STREET (south side)
NOTTINGHAM, NOTTINGHAM, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Dr Eric Ritchie
27 April 2005
12 July 1972
Date of last amendment:
12 July 1972
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK53NE DALE STREET, Sneinton
646-1/7/167 (South side)
12/07/72 Church of St Stephen
Parish church. Tower and part of south transept 1837-39 by
Rickman & Hussey. Remainder 1909-12, by CG Hare of Bodley &
Hare. Coursed square stone with ashlar dressings and concrete
tile roofs. Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: cruciform plan with chancel and vestry, nave, aisles,
transepts and crossing tower.
EXTERIOR: plinth, buttresses, plain parapets, coped gables.
Pointed arched windows, mostly 2 lights, with simple tracery.
Chancel, 3 bays, has blank east end with central buttress.
Vestry, to south, has a flat-headed window, 3 lights, and east
door. Similar north vestry has 2 smaller windows.
Nave, 4 bays, has 3 pairs of slit lights to the clerestory.
West end has a large 4-light window. North aisle has 4
windows, and door in east bay. South aisle has 3 windows. The
windows have linked hood moulds. Both aisles have at the west
end a pointed arched double door with hood mould and a 2-light
mullioned window above. Transepts have 2 windows in the gable,
flanking a buttress. To south-west, a single bay projection
with one window. Square tower, 2 stages, has shallow clasping
buttresses. Lower stage has a roundel each side, with clock
faces to north and west. Bell stage has pointed arched double
openings flanked by narrower blanks.
INTERIOR: chancel ashlar, remainder rendered. Chancel has
low-pitched panelled ceiling with bosses. Door on north side.
Crossing has single bay vault with moulded ribs. Pointed
arched openings, with traceried wooden screen and organ case
to south. Nave has arcades, 4 bays, with moulded piers and
arches without capitals. Wooden barrel vault with moulded
ribs. Plain west window. Aisles have exposed ashlar and above,
concrete transverse arches. Pointed arched and doors at west
ends. North aisle has two stained glass windows, late C19.
South aisle has stained glass window, 1917. North transept (St
George's Chapel) has cross beam ceiling and panelling, 1931.
South transept has a rendered vault, and stained glass window,
1938. To east, a double archway to the Lady Chapel, with
chamfered pier. Lady Chapel has cross beam ceiling, panelled
wainscotting, and stained glass windows late C19 and 1944.
Fittings mainly by CG Hare include elaborate wooden reredos in
German C15 style, panelled reredos with niche and figure in
north chapel, 3-tower organ case, and octagonal font with
spire cover. Return stalls, late C15, with misericords,
removed from St Mary's church, Nottingham, 1848. Brass eagle
Memorials include triptych war memorial by Hare, 1927.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 250; Sneinton Parish Church History: Truman N: