You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 457199  

Print Page

© Mr Peter Hyde

IoE Number: 457199
Location: 25 ST ANN STREET (north side)
Photographer: Mr Peter Hyde
Date Photographed: 25 September 2002
Date listed: 25 February 1952
Date of last amendment: 06 June 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCHESTER SJ8398SE ST ANN STREET 698-1/27/381 (North side) 25/02/52 No.25 (Formerly Listed as: ST ANN STREET (North side) Williams and Glyn's Bank) GV II* Bank, with attached manager's house. 1848, by J.E.Gregan, for Benjamin Heywood's Bank. Sandstone ashlar, and red brick with sandstone dressings, hipped slate roofs. Tripartite plan with bank on corner of St Ann's Square, entrance bay in centre and former manager's house to right. Italian palazzo style. The bank, 3 storeys, and 3x1 bays plus chamfered corner, has a plinth, rusticated quoins, rusticated ground floor with raised rusticated surrounds to large round-headed arches which contain Venetian windows with Ionic colonnettes and are linked by a moulded impost band; sashed windows to both upper floors, those in the centre tripartite, those at 1st floor with pedimented Corinthian architraves and balustraded balconies linked by a moulded sill-band, and those at 2nd floor with enriched architraves linked by a similar band; and a prominent dentilled and modillioned cornice. The corner has a carved shield at ground floor, and windows on the upper floors like those at the front; and the left return has tripartite windows on all floors, those at ground floor forming an arcade. The entrance bay has a single-storey porch with a round-headed doorway (the lintel lettered "BANK") with emphatic run-out voussoirs, and a balustraded parapet. The house to the right, 3 storeys and 4 bays, has a plinth, very emphatic rusticated quoins to the corners and surrounding a round-headed doorway to the 3rd bay, a cornice to the ground floor and moulded sill-band to the 2nd floor, a plain brick frieze and prominent modillioned cornice; and sashed windows with moulded architraves, those at 1st floor with panelled aprons and moulded cornices. Interior not inspected.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.