You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 457631  

Print Page

© Mr John Riley

IoE Number: 457631
Location: SLADE HALL, SLADE LANE (east side)
Photographer: Mr John Riley
Date Photographed: 01 January 2005
Date listed: 25 February 1952
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCHESTER SJ89SE SLADE LANE, Longsight 698-1/9/737 (East side) 25/02/52 Slade Hall (Formerly Listed as: SLADE LANE, Levenshulme (East side) Slade Hall) II* Small manor house, now Housing Association offices. Dated 1585 over doorway; enlarged, restored and altered. Timber frame on stone plinth, brick additions to rear, slate roof. Hall-and-crosswing plan, with porch in angle, C19 wing added to right of original wing. Two low storeys, the upper floor and the gables jettied; stud-and-rail framing with much herring-bone bracing in zig-zag patterns and some quatrefoil panels. The wide porch has a doorway to the right with studded door and strap hinges, 2 of the studs to the coving above inscribed "1585" and "ES", two 4-light wooden mullioned casements at 1st floor with a quatrefoil between, small diamond panelling in the gable painted as quatrefoils (and probably C19), and a restored gable finial; its left side has glazing inserted in 2 of the diagonal panels between the braces. The hall-range to the left has a large 14-light mullion-and-transom window (restored), a 3-light window immediately to the right, and a 10-light mullion-and-transom window at 1st floor. The gable of the crosswing to the right has projected mullion-and-transom windows of 10 lights at ground floor and 12 lights at 1st floor, an inserted mullion-and-transom window to the left of that at ground floor, and a king-post gable truss with raked struts. Interior: altered, but has some exposed timber framing and at 1st floor unusually extensive moulded plaster friezes including shields of Arms with supporters (Arms of Elizabeth and of "ES"), stag-hunting scenes (etc).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.