You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 457641  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Sargeant

IoE Number: 457641
Location: MEMORIAL HALL, 1 AND 3 SOUTHMILL STREET (east side)
  MANCHESTER, MANCHESTER, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Peter Sargeant
Date Photographed: 24 June 2001
Date listed: 14 February 1972
Date of last amendment: 06 June 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCHESTER SJ8398SE SOUTHMILL STREET 698-1/27/376 (East side) 14/02/72 Nos.1 AND 3 Memorial Hall (Formerly Listed as: ALBERT SQUARE (South side) Memorial Hall) GV II* Meeting rooms and hall, now public house, restaurant etc. 1864-6, by Thomas Worthington; altered. Red brick with sandstone and polychrome dressings, roof not visible. Trapeziform plan on corner site. Venetian Gothic style. Three storeys over basement, a narrow 3-window symmetrical facade to Albert Square and a long 6-window return facade to Southmill Street; with sandstone ashlar basement storey treated as a plinth, sill-bands to all floors, plain intermediate stone bands, moulded band over 2nd floor, corbel table and moulded cornice. The principal facade to Albert Square has a large 2-centred arched doorway moulded in 2 orders with an inner band of dog-tooth ornament and an internal flight of steps, flanked by pointed-arched windows with shafts and polychrome extradoses; a band with raised lettering "MEMORIAL HALL ERECTED IN COMMEMORATION OF THE YEAR 1662"; windows of 1, 3 and 1 lights at 1st and 2nd floors, those at 1st floor like those at ground floor and those at 2nd floor much larger and square-headed with foliated caps to the shafts, cusped lights and quatrefoil tracery in the heads, and the outer windows with little stone balconies. The return facade to Southmill Street has an arched doorway at each end, and windows to each floor like those at the front arranged: 1, 3+3, 3+3 and 1. Interior not inspected. History: erected to commemorate the 2,000 nonconformist clergy who seceded from the Church of England in 1662 as a result of the Act of Uniformity; formerly housed the Manchester Unitarian Sunday School Union and Home Missionary Board, the Charles Halle Choir, and several societies such as the Statistical, the Photographic, Elocutionist, etc. Forms group with other items in Albert Square (q.v.).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.