You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 458149  

Print Page

© Mr Martin Malies

IoE Number: 458149
Photographer: Mr Martin Malies
Date Photographed: 29 October 1999
Date listed: 03 October 1974
Date of last amendment: 03 October 1974
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCHESTERSD80SWWATERLOO ROAD, Cheetham698-1/2/580(East side)

SD 80 SW WATERLOO ROAD, Cheetham (east side) 698-1/2/580 Church of St John the Evangelist 3/10/74 II* Church. 1869-71, by Paley and Austin. Coursed squared sandstone, red tile roofs. Romanesque/early C12 style. Nave and full-height apsidal chancel in one, with north and south aisles, west porch and south-west tower. The large square 4-stage tower has a distinctive design with clasping corner pilasters terminating in steeply-pitched pyramidal roofs which clasp the lower stage of a steep pyramidal mansard root; a rounded 2-centred arched south doorway moulded in 4 orders with pipe-corbels to a carved tympanum, a one-light west window to the 2nd stage moulded in 2 orders, shafted blank arcading to the 3rd stage with 2 small lancets in the centre of each side, and tall coupled belfry windows with shafts and louvres. The west end of the nave has prominent buttresses framing a 2-bay porch with mono-pitched roof and 2 doorways with moulded surrounds and carved tympana lettered "In the Beginning" and " Alleluia Alleluia" respectively, 3 lancets above the porch with linked hoodmoulds, and a moulded multifoil in the gable. The 3-bay nave and 2-bay chancel have pilasters with corner shafts, coupled windows to the nave and pairs of windows to the chancel with a nailhead band in each bay; the aisles have cusped lancets and a central buttress; and the apse (flow surrounded by C20 single-storey additions) has buttresses and 2 tiers of arcading, with 2-centred blind windows in the lower and 2-centred arched windows in the upper, and a nailhead band carried round. Interior: Wagon roof with tie beams supported by arcade of alternate polygonal and clustered columns. Much original woodwork including choir stalls and pulpit decorated with incised flowers and full set of benches to the nave. Blind arcading in the apse and massive sculpted reredos added 1879. Mosaic panels in apse and over west door and encaustic tiles in chancel. Stained glass, largely of the 1880's, including windows by C.E.Kempe. A landmark in its locality, designed by one of the region's most significant and influential architectural partnerships of the late C19.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.