You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 458452  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Lomas

IoE Number: 458452
Location: MANCHESTER POLYTECHNIC, DIDSBURY SCHOOL OF EDUCATION (ORIGINAL PORTION ONLY), WILMSLOW ROAD (east side)
  MANCHESTER, MANCHESTER, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Brian Lomas
Date Photographed: 12 December 2005
Date listed: 25 February 1952
Date of last amendment: 06 June 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCHESTER SJ8490 WILMSLOW ROAD, Didsbury 698-1/25/675 (East side) 25/02/52 Manchester Polytechnic, Didsbury School of Education (original portion only) (Formerly Listed as: WILMSLOW ROAD, Didsbury (East side) Didsbury College of Education) GV II* House, c.1790, altered with extensive additions as Wesleyan Theological College 1842; subsequently altered, and now part of Manchester Polytechnic School of Education. Sandstone ashlar facades, with rear and courtyard walls of red brick in Flemish bond with sandstone dressings, slate roofs with glazed skylights. Four ranges of building enclosing a large rectangular courtyard, with the original house forming an entrance block at the west end, and the ends of the rear range projected as short wings. Classical style. The facade has a 3-storey 5-bay centre breaking forwards, but is otherwise 2-storeyed, with 2-bay side ranges, and end pavilions breaking forwards; the ground floor has channelled rustication, the centre has giant pilasters above this level with acanthus and reed caps, and a pediment, and the end pavilions have paired pilasters; the doorway in the centre is square-headed, with a moulded surround; the end pavilions have tripartite windows, those to the left altered (with stained glass), otherwise all windows are sashed with glazing bars, mostly 12-paned but with 9-pane sashes at 2nd floor. The 3-bay return walls have paired pilasters and similar sashed windows; and continued to the rear of these are lower 12-bay side ranges which have 12-pane sashes at ground floor and 9-pane sashes above, and terminate with rear wings in matching style. The rear range is 16 bays, with pilastered end bays, and the centre rebuilt (in buff brick) with a passage through. The courtyard sides of these ranges have sandstone plinths, bands to both floors, cornices and blocking courses, and 12- and 9-pane sashes with flat-arched heads. Linked to the rear of the entrance block is a former external kitchen over extensive basements, with a small basement area on its north side. (C20 additions attached to south-east corner). Interior: entrance hall with screen of reeded columns distyle in antis, elliptical open-well staircase with wrought-iron balustrade, coved niches and elliptical-arched sashed windows with intersecting glazing bars; axial corridors at 1st floor of side wings, lit by continuous ridged skylights with tilting casement windows; extensive storage basements connected to kitchen range by dumb-waiter (remains of).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.