© Mr Keith Lockwood
SYNAGOGUE AND ATTACHED AREA RAILINGS, SHAKESPEARE STREET (north side)
NOTTINGHAM, NOTTINGHAM, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Mr Keith Lockwood
22 August 2004
12 July 1972
Date of last amendment:
30 November 1995
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK5740SW SHAKESPEARE STREET
646-1/14/549 (North side)
12/07/72 Synagogue and attached area railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Wesleyan Reform chapel, now synagogue and attached railings.
1854. By T Simpson. Converted c1950. Stucco with hipped slate
roof. Classical Revival style.
EXTERIOR: sill band and string course. Bays divided by giant
Corinthian pilasters. 2 storeys plus basement; 3 x 7 bays,
plus rear addition. Tall round-arched windows.
Street front has a projecting centre with 4 fluted Corinthian
pilasters supporting a dentillated cornice and pediment. Small
flat-headed central window flanked by doors, and above, 3
windows. Left return has 7 windows. To the rear, a flat roofed
addition with double doors and 3 windows.
INTERIOR: plastered, largely unaltered. Dentillated cornice to
cross beam ceiling with guilloche enrichment. Similar
enrichment to window heads. All-round oval gallery on
cast-iron Corinthian columns with elaborately moulded front
and guilloche and vine trail bands. Clock at the rear.
At the front, a granite and marble tabernacle, resited, with
fluted pilasters and inscribed tablets under a segmental
pediment. Niches with seats on each side, and beyond, renewed
doors in C19 pedimented surrounds.
Fittings include original panelled benches throughout.
Remaining fittings mid C20.
Memorials include 2 marble and slate war memorial tablets.
Outside, across the front, 4 square panelled piers with
cornice caps, with 2 wrought-iron gates and railing.
Wrought-iron area railing to left return, with ashlar plinth.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: