You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 460365  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 460365
Location: SIBDON CASTLE,
  SIBDON CARWOOD, SOUTH SHROPSHIRE, SHROPSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 12 November 1954
Date of last amendment: 12 November 1954
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SIBDON CARWOODSO48SWSibdon Castle1943-1/5/82

SIBDON CARWOOD SO48SW Sibdon Castle 1943-1/5/82 12/11/54 GV II* Country house. Early C18 front to C17 core. Coursed dressed sandstone; hipped plain tile roof with some stone tiles to rear; 2 C20 restored brick panelled ridge stacks; brick panelled stack to left side. E-shaped on plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, attic and cellars; 7-window range. Late C19 1/1 sashes with cambered heads, in moulded cases and moulded stone architraves with keyblocks. Moulded cornice to parapet with pilastered battlements, rising at ends, with bull's-eye lights in circular architraves with keyblocks, and to centre with Diocletian window in semi-circular moulded architrave. Central entrance: steps and wing-walls to ashlar porch with moulded cornice and flat lead roof; semi-circular quoined arch with studded plank double doors; rusticated quoins; diamond-glazed side lights in moulded architraves; continuous ceiling cornice and architraves, and 2 paired 8-panel doors between panelled pilasters, flanked by similar sashes. Moulded circular openings to cellars. Left return side: rubble; 2 tiers of similar sashes in moulded cases; square panel in moulded architrave to first floor; recessed bay to left, with 2 tiers of similar sashes; segmental arches. Rear: 2 gable wings with single stone mullion and transom windows with casements in moulded ashlar cases; similar 2-light mullions to shouldered gables with ball finials; 4 6/6 sashes in moulded cases and moulded stone architraves with keyblocks. Central single-storey porch bay with steps and wing walls to 6 fielded-panel door and barred fanlight with side lights in C20 restored Venetian architrave, and panel; flanked by 6/6 sashes; quoins; castellated parapet; cross-windows in moulded cases over. Chamfered mullioned openings and 2 plank doors to cellars. Lead rainwater goods inscribed: "FBE". C19 single-storey wing to left. INTERIOR: staircase with turned and barley-twist balusters and clustered newel; panelling; decorative plasterwork; carved stone and bolection-moulded fireplaces, with overmantels; panelled doors.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.