You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 460488  

Print Page



© Mr Keith Atkins

IoE Number: 460488
Location: MARTELLO TOWER,
  ALDEBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr Keith Atkins
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 27 February 1950
Date of last amendment: 27 February 1950
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ALDEBURGHTM45SESLAUGHDON837-1/3/44Martello Tower

ALDEBURGH TM45SE SLAUGHDON 837-1/3/44 Martello Tower 27/02/50 II* Martello tower. 1808-10 by Royal Engineers to design of Colonel Twiss and Captain Ford: sold 1932 and converted to house: commandeered 1940 as military watch tower: restored 1973. Red brick on granite plinth and with ashlar dressings. 4-gun tower, quatrefoil in plan and surrounded by deep brick moat. EXTERIOR: entrance to west set in stone reveals and reached by elevated timber walkway. In each of 4 lobes is one ashlar-faced round-headed window. INTERIOR: not inspected. Eastern segment of the moat has been eroded by the sea. Tower is the most northerly and largest of those built during the Napoleonic War. Scheduled Ancient Monument, No. 106 (Kent P: Fortifications of East Anglia: Lavenham: 1988-: 145-147; BOE: Pevsner N: Suffolk, 2nd Edition: Harmondsworth: 1974-: 73).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.