You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 461733  

Print Page



© Mr Neil Short LBIPP

IoE Number: 461733
Location: DEANSGATE GOODS STATION AND ATTACHED CARRIAGE RAMP, WATSON STREET (west side)
  MANCHESTER, MANCHESTER, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Neil Short LBIPP
Date Photographed: 24 September 2001
Date listed: 04 May 1979
Date of last amendment: 02 April 1996
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCHESTERSJ8397NEWATSON STREET698-1/31/432(West side)

SJ 8397 NE MANCHESTER WATSON STREET (West side) 698-1/31/432 Deansgate Goods Station And attached carriage Ramp 4/5/79 (Goods Station) 23/11/79 (attached Carriage Ramp) II* Goods station and warehouse, and attached carriage ramp, now car park. 1885-96, and 1899, for Great Northern Railway Company. Steel-framed construction, cladding of red brick with blue brick bands, slate roof. GOODS STATION; Rectangular plan, 267 feet long and 217 feet wide. Five storeys, with 27-window east and west sides and 17-window north and south ends; segmental-headed windows with cast-iron glazing bars; frieze with lettering in white brick:"GREAT NORTHERN RAILWAY COMPANY'S GOODS WAREHOUSE" (on all 4 sides); and brick bracketed painted cornice with blocking course. The east facade (to Watson Street) has 5 wide cart entrances at ground floor with deep iron lintels, and the north end has 3 similar entrances. The west side and south end have similar entrances at 1st floor level: 2 where the carriage ramp enters at the north end of the west side, and 3 offset to the left in the south end where the former railway viaduct enters. In addition, the west side has 4 bays of tiered segmental-headed loading doorways with cast-iron surrounds, separated by 2 pairs of windows. The interior is of brick jack arch, fire-proof construction. To the west side at its north end, CARRIAGE RAMP to the upper floor of the goods station completed 1899. Brick, iron and steel, and paved with granite setts. 3-sided ramp extends west, then north, then east. The lower portion is carried on 4 semi-circular vaults of blue engineering brick. The western portion and short return to the building has an iron deck supported on the open side by 4 steel staunchions with a blue brick parapet. Forms groups with Nos 235-92 Deansgate (q.v.). For the original construction and full details of its working see "The Railway Engineer" for January 1899 and "The Engineer" for September 2nd, 1898. A unique survival of a 3-way railway goods exchange station, serving the railway, canal and road networks of the Manchester region, incorporating a complex system of hydraulic haulage between the subterranean canal access to the building, the street level access, and the other storage levels. Built to be fully fire proof, it was considered in its day to be one of the most advanced railway goods exchanges in the country.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.