You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 461978  

Print Page



© Mr John Riley

IoE Number: 461978
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, LEIGH ROAD
  ATHERTON, WIGAN, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr John Riley
Date Photographed: 19 April 2004
Date listed: 31 July 1996
Date of last amendment: 31 July 1996
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SD 60 SE ATHERTON LEIGH ROAD, Howe Bridge 1480-/2/10006 Church of St Michael and All Angels II* Parish church. 1875-77. Designed by Paley & Austin for Fletcher Burrows, owner of Atherton Colliery. Narrow coursed stone with red Runcorn ashlar dressings, plain tile roofs with coped gables and kneelers. 2 stage octagonal fleche over crossing with tall spire. Chamfered plinth, continuous moulded ashlar sill band. Nave with single bay side chapels, north porch, transepts, chancel with aisles and meeting room and choir vestry .West end has large central buttress between 2-light pointed arch windows with reticulated tracery, above in gable 3 small lancets. North nave has timber-framed gable porch with side windows. Single 2-light pointed arch window and two 3-light pointed arch windows with lancets. South nave has single 2-light pointed arch window with reticulated tracery , large buttress and two 3-light similar windows with lancets. Side chapels have 2-light pointed arch windows to west and similar 3-light windows to sides. Gabled transepts have deep butrt1sses flanking 3-light pointed arch windows with reticulated tracery and 2 lancets in the gable above. Chancel has vestry to south with single lancet and ringing room to north with 2 lancets. Clerestorey has 3 small lancets under relieving arc II on each side, north side also has raised stair gable with blind arcading. West end has large pointed arch window with 5 graduated lancets. Attached to west single storey meeting room and choir vestry with 3-light window to north and two 3-light windows flanked by single 2-light windows on west front. Interior has open wooden na're roof and 2 bays of quadripartite stone vaulting to the chancel. Chancel has circular and cluster columns supporting double chamfered arches. Fittings include pulpit on stone base with balusters, ornate iron altar rail, wooden pews and choir stalls.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.