© Mrs Alison Parsons
CHURCH OF ST ALBAN AND CHURCH HALL, BURGESS ROAD (north side)
SOUTHAMPTON, SOUTHAMPTON, HAMPSHIRE
Mrs Alison Parsons
30 January 2007
28 January 1997
Date of last amendment:
28 January 1997
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SU41 NW BURGESS ROAD, Swaythling
983-0/7/10015 Church of St Alban and Church Hall
Anglican church. 1933, by Welch, Cachemaille-Day and Lander. Rendered brick with Weldon stone dressings. Clay plain tile roofs with gabled ends. PLAN: Cruciform plan with altar under the crossing tower and Lady Chapel in the chancel, north and south transepts, 3-bay nave with wide aisles; the nave was intended to be longer and west end was completed later. Attached to the south transept is the coeval church hall. Gothic style. EXTERIOR: Chancel and north transept have 5-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred arches, the nave west window has 2-centred arch and Geometric tracery and the aisles have 3-light straight-head Perpendicular windows. Large, but squat, crossing tower with diagonal buttresses, circular stair-turret on the SE corner, battlements and 3-light straight-head Perpendicular windows in the top stage. Later porch with flat roof on the west end. Attached to the south transept the church hall with large wooden mullion-transom windows with hipped roofs above the eaves, the south end with hipped roof with lower eaves and central gable set back with Tudor arch doorway; later additions to east side of church hall. INTERIOR: Spacious interior with plastered walls and stone arches. Wide nave and aisles with 3-bay double-chamfered 4-centred arch arcades and large moulded 2-centred crossing arches without capitals, the east and south arches dying into the round stair-turret. Roof ceiled by boarded panels has tie-beams and tall crown-posts. Furnishings complete: Altar under the crossing, simple wooden altar rail with solid low side screens to sanctuary, pulpit and seating and polygonal font with cover. Church hall roof is ceiled with plywood and has a stage at the north end. SOURCES: Buildings of England, page 574. The Architect and Building News, June 30th, 1933, pp 384-391.