You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 463202  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 463202
Location: SHAVINGTON HALL, WESTON LANE (off)
  SHAVINGTON CUM GRESTY, CREWE AND NANTWICH, CHESHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 11 February 1997
Date of last amendment: 11 February 1997
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 75 SW SHAVINGTON CUM GRESTY WESTON LANE (OFF) 1179/5/10009 Shavington Hall - II Small country house. 1877, for the Earl of Shrewsbury. Light Bowden brick with sandstone dressings, and red brick to rear elevations. Tall brick chimneys, those to principal gables a flattened octagonal shape with corbelled caps. Welsh slated roof with crested clay ridges. Tudor Revival style. Irregular elongated plan, comprised of 2 linked ranges, the principal range to the west, and a service range to the east. FRONT ELEVATION (east): 3-bay front of 2 storeys rising from a chamfered plinth, with advanced gable to right, and full-height canted bay window to left, beneath gablet. Centre bay with 5-light mullioned window to first floor above 5-light mullioned and transomed window below. All other windows are mullioned and transomed, with glazing bar casements to the upper floor openings, below leaded overlights. Heads of ground floor openings linked by string course. REAR ELEVATION with double gabled wing extending north. Left-hand gable with 12-light mullioned and transomed stair window. Flat roofed open entrance porch to side of right-hand gable with semi-circular arched openings, enclosing Tudor-arched doorway with planked door below 3-light rectangular overlight. SIDE ELEVATION (east): crowstepped gable with string course above single light first floor single light windows. Beyond the gable, a short link connects with 2-bay setback service range to east, with a mullioned windows to each bay, and a gabled 4-light dormer to the left hand bay. Plain staggered ridge stack and coped gable. INTERIOR: Entrance lobby and hallway with patterned encaustic tiled floor. Half-glazed inner door has margin lights with patterned and coloured glass, and narrow flanking fixed lights to doorway and overlight all have painted patterned panels. Patterned or stencilled wall covering to hall and stairwell with Talbot-Shrewsbury heraldic lion emblem , linked T&S initials and coronet symbol. Other rooms with wall hangings with these emblems on a chevron ground. Principal stair with turned balusters, carved newel post and moulded handrails. 6-panel doors with moulded architraves, and contemporary hearth surrounds, some with patterned tilework, to principal rooms. Bathroom with encaustic tiled floors.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.