You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 465259  

Print Page



© Mr Steve Novak

IoE Number: 465259
Location: CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, SELBY ROAD (north off)
  LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Steve Novak
Date Photographed: 15 July 2000
Date listed: 19 March 1981
Date of last amendment: 19 March 1981
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LEEDSSE33SWSELBY ROAD, Halton714-1/11/709(North side (off))

LEEDS SE33SW SELBY ROAD, Halton 714-1/11/709 (North side (off)) 19/03/81 Church of St Wilfrid II* Anglican church. 1938. By A Randall Wells. Coursed thin gritstone rubble, flat roof of asbestos cement covered originally with Permanite, timber tower and spire, shingle cladding. PLAN: 3-bay nave and very narrow, low aisle; crossing with polygonal tower and spire; transepts; choir and round apse. EXTERIOR: windows show Early English Gothic influence in the groups of 5 straight-sided pointed lancets in a relieving arch of stones set on edge and flush with wall face; side windows have large rectangular glazed panel centre. Aisles blind, apse has small pointed window on N and S sides. Single-storey vestry and porch in re-entrant angles of nave, transepts and choir, plain mullioned windows. Timber tower gabled on each face, spire has louvred bell openings. INTERIOR: Expressionist-style massive plastered quoined vaults rise from window-sill level, square-section piers support aisles, shallow pointed arches, round-arched recesses between vaults. Doors, choir stalls, screens of Columbian pine; turned wood screens to lectern and pulpit, chairs of ash. Original flooring was of rubber on asphalt, heating by gas boiler, hot water battery and electric fan, indirect electric lighting. The cost of the structure was »11,700 excluding fees, the furniture and fittings »800 including chairs, seating was for 402 and 34 in choir. (Incorporated Church Building Society: Fifty Modern Churches, 1930-1945: 40).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.