You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 468741  

Print Page



© Mr Nigel Wood

IoE Number: 468741
Location: THE VICTORIA THEATRE, BACK COMMERCIAL STREET (south side)
  HALIFAX, CALDERDALE, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Nigel Wood
Date Photographed: 29 August 2004
Date listed: 24 June 1997
Date of last amendment: 24 June 1997
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SE 0924 NW COMMERCIAL STREET (West side) 679/18/10265 Nos. 49-63 (Odd) The Victoria Theatre GV II Includes: The Victoria Theatre, BACK COMMERCIAL STREET Includes: The Victoria Theatre, No.2 FOUNTAIN STREET Includes: The Victoria Theatre, POWELL STREET Includes: The Victoria Theatre, WARD'S END Marked on OS map as Victoria Hall. Concert hall, now theatre, and shops. Designed 1897 by W Clement Williams for the Halifax Concert Hall & Public Rooms Co Ltd. Foundation stone laid May 6 1899 by Sir George Fisher-Smith. Opened Feb 8 1901 with concert by the Halle Orchestra. Restored and converted 1962-66. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof. Baroque Revival style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 8 x 5 bays with curved corner of 9 bays. Entrance in curve facing SE has slate-covered awning over 3 sets of glass doors; whole curve has Ionic pilasters defining bays, the left the shop front of the box office and the right a separate shop. Deep entablature supports first floor half columns, also Ionic, paired to central 3 bays with wide central window flanked by arched niches containing statues; other bays have single lights, all with transoms. Eaves cornice and roof balustrade with urn finials. One-bay, 3-stage towers flank this section and have pedimented windows in architraves; corniced blind top sections have corner pinnacles and high colonnaded lanterns with oeil-de-boeuf and scroll brackets to top frieze. Long front to Commercial Street has pilasters and entablature framing plate glass shop windows, pedimented sash windows above with richly carved lintel bands, and paired lights in pedimented end bays. Rich carving in pediments. Names of composers carved in impost band include Bishop, Wallace, Arne, Purcell, Balft, Bennett, Handel, Mozart, Beethoven, Mendelssohn. Roof conical over entrance, with cast-iron cresting surrounding tall arcaded lantern with ogee roof and spike finial; high domes over flanking towers; hipped roofs over ends of Commercial Street front linked by ridge with balustraded parapet. INTERIOR: shows much rich decoration, with especially ornate foyer and stairwell; Corinthian jewelled columns support imperial stairs which have cast-iron curved flowering stems for balustrades, with polished wood handrail; foyer walls panelled with pilasters and moulded over door decoration. Full width stair light deeply coved and filled with painted glass in intense colours, with swags and bows framing central `VR' motif. Bust of Queen Victoria on pedestal on stair landing. Auditorium entirely without columns to the cantilevered balconies which have bombe fronts; moulded proscenium arch, and coved panelled ceiling.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.