© Mr Ian Garman
THE CLIFTON POOL AND THE VICTORIA PUBLIC HOUSE, OAKFIELD PLACE (north side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mr Ian Garman
17 September 2005
12 June 1998
Date of last amendment:
12 June 1998
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5773 BRISTOL OAKFIELD PLACE
(North west side)
The Clifton Pool and The Victoria Public House
Swimming baths; public house incorporated later. Circa 1850; altered circa late C19 and C20. Stuccoed. Slate mansard roof behind parapet.
PLAN: Front range in classical style, probably originally containing medicinal and washing baths and other offices including the manager's house and boiler room, behind which is the rectangular open-air swimming bath with later Cl9 partly glazed galleries on two sides and a range of changing cubicles on the other side. The Victoria public house, incorporated into the right [NE] end of the front range, was added by 1867.
EXTERIOR: Front range, 2 storeys and attic, 5 bays with pilasters supporting entablature, raised at centre into the attic. Moulded window architraves, the ground floor with cornices, centre first floor with panelled pilasters and console brackets. Central doorway with Egyptian style architrave with pronounced batter and coved cornice. Attic above entablature with small square plain windows. Sashes, some replaced with casements, ground floor to right of centre replaced by doorway to, The Victoria PH. Right-hand [NE] return has broken cornice and lion over raised parapet . To the right a long blind wall with two doorways towards the right with moulded stone architraves, with keystones and console brackets supporting cornices with acroteria above, left doorway blocked and acroterion of right doorway missing. Behind front range and side wall is the swimming bath, on two sides of which are galleries supported on chamfered wooden posts and with cast-iron balustrades and glazed canopies with king-post trusses. The galleries are partly glazed, the glazing has margin panes and panelled risers. On the SW side there is a row of wooden cubicles with panelled fronts, boarded partitions and a camopy over.
INTERIOR: Only interior of The Victoria PH was inspected; its bar fittings have been replaced, but has late C19 chimneypiece in saloon. Inside the main entrance to the baths there is a kiosk and wooden open-well staircase.