You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 469784  

Print Page



© Dr R. A. Brierley

IoE Number: 469784
Location: 78-94 FOREGATE STREET (south side)
  CHESTER, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
Photographer: Dr R. A. Brierley
Date Photographed: 20 August 2004
Date listed: 23 July 1998
Date of last amendment: 23 July 1998
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1932-1/6/105FOREGATE STREET23-JUL-98(South side)

SJ 4066 CHESTER CITY (EM) FOREGATE STREET (South side) 1932-1/6/105 Nos.78-94 (Even) 23.07.1998 GV II Cooperative department store. 1904-5. By Douglas and Minshull. For the Chester Cooperative Society. Extended 1914 and converted 1980s to a range of shops. Stone-dressed brick. Baroque in manner. EXTERIOR: 9 bays to Foregate Street; 3 bays to Love Street, right. The ground floor has Roman Doric bay columns of cream stone, altered shop-fronts and blank fascia. The first floor has broad display windows with stained patterned leaded glazing above transom; the narrower windows have sashes and inserted hoppers; all have stone surrounds. Stone frieze and cornice on corbels. The corner has a segmental-arched 3-light window of 7;16;7 panes to each face, above eaves level, beneath a lead-roofed cupola with a small-paned lantern and domed roof with tall finial. 5 quasi-Palladian timber ;6;20;6;6-pane dormers, and a stone-dressed Baroque dormer casement to Foregate Street and to Love Street. The 3 left bays to Foregate Street, 1914, are flat-roofed. 2 ridge chimneys, one with stone cap. HISTORICAL NOTE: not in any of John Douglas's normal Vernacular Revival manners, the design shocked the City Council Improvement Committee; the partial leaded glazing was the price paid for their approval. (Chester City Council and Committee: Improvement Committee Minutes: 25.5.04; 22.6.1914).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.